project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 4919 times)

Offline Edi

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« on: June 23, 2013, 02:10:41 pm »
Hi guys,

I've been away a long time, as my interests have taken me far and wide indeed. A year and a half ago I was helping Illwinter Game Design develop Conquest of Elysium 3. Since November 2012 I've been helping them develop Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension.

The Illwinter page for Dominions 4 is here: http://www.illwinter.com/dom4/index.html

Dominions 4 improvements

Here's a short list with the most important changes compared to Dominions 3.

• Teamplay, one pretender and one or more disciples per team.
  • Thrones of Ascension. Claim thrones to gain extra powers and to win the game eventually.
  • Many sprites have been redrawn and the 3d terrain is also improved.
  • Many user interface improvements.
  • Formations like line formation or skirmish formation.
  • Improved random map generation with wraparound maps, caves, rivers and mountain passes.
  • Rivers that can only be passed when frozen, mountain passes that can only be passed by special units and when it's warm.
  • Pierce, slash and blunt weapons have slightly different quirks. E.g. don't shoot arrows at skeletons.
  • Darkness and dark vision plays a more important role. Notably in deep seas, caves and sometimes during assassinations.
  • Range restrictions on magic rituals and items and spells that can be used to boost ritual ranges.
  • Improved network support, turns can be resumed from any computer and turns can be marked as only half finished.
  • Global random events
  • Can build castle improvements like extra towers or extra supply storage
  • Province Defence dependent on the local population and some nations have easier or harder to organize it.
  • Improvements to AI and to modding.
  • Many new monsters, spells, magic items, sites, random events and some nations too.

You can also find more info from these links:
The Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension announcement on the Desura Dominions 3 forum
The Dominions 4 subforum of the Dom3Mods Dominions 3 community
The Dominions 4 thread at Quarter to Three

So, if anyone here was ever interested in Dominions but never got around to buying it due to the high price at Shrapnel Games (who have not been distributing Dom3 since last November), this is the iteration to get. The links above are also the places to ask if you have questions, though I'll be checking in around here too.