project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Development of 2.4  (Read 6875 times)

Offline fiepfrog

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Development of 2.4
« on: June 11, 2013, 07:16:31 am »
I played a little with modding of version 2.4. The game reacts with crashes.

Is is helpful if I try to debug it, or did you stop introducing changes/fixes in that codebase already, to concentrate to version 2.5?

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Development of 2.4
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 10:19:08 am »
I played a little with modding of version 2.4. The game reacts with crashes.

Maybe you did something wrong? What exactly happened?

Is is helpful if I try to debug it, or did you stop introducing changes/fixes in that codebase already, to concentrate to version 2.5?

We lack the manpower needed to maintain 2.4, everybody works towards 2.5 stable release. If you have the skills to help hunting bugs down, the tracker would be the place to look at.

Offline fiepfrog

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 11:37:18 am »
Maybe you did something wrong?

Sure :)
I would like to create incendiary ammo for the machine gun. By the way, I am really impressed by your Mod-Interface, it looks really great! I wonder why there aren't more mods.

What I did is adding some ufo scripts in several locations in the installation directory, also in the base directory to test if it basically works.

What exactly happened?

Well, I started the game, loaded a savegame, and if I remember right once it just crashed, and once it hangs during displaying the planet.

If I overwrite the ufo-scripts with complete nonsense the game may cause errors and stop working, but running into crashs is not good.

I was able to find the console log, but i could not find any information about my mod or the related files I added.

But if you introduced some fixes to 2.5 which are not introduced to 2.4 the problems are probably already solved, so I will retry with version 2.5.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that this time I am working on Win7.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 11:39:11 am by fiepfrog »

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 05:03:27 pm »
In 2.5-dev you can create your mod without editing the original game. See wiki. Iirc this was added after 2.4.

If you want to add your ic-ammo, first thing you need to do is adding it as a tech to research.ufo. Also you need to add it as an item (including the weaponmod for the machinegun) in weapons_human.ufo.