project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: gfx performance  (Read 1795 times)

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
gfx performance
« on: May 03, 2013, 10:07:21 am »
ufo:ai runs fine on low end machines assuming one cuts down on resolution, but I find frame rates strangely low in comparison to some commercial games - for an example valve's gpu stress test at full hd resolution gives me >150 fps but in ufoai battlescape I'm getting 40-50 fps at the same resolution. Just tried Alien Arena and I'm seeing higher fps in that as well. Something to do with my system perhaps? Gameplay in ufoai isn't fps-critical though, just wondering...

Offline Sandro

• Squad Leader
  • Maintenance guy for UFO:AI 3D engine
    • View Profile
Re: gfx performance
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 03:01:14 pm »
At first, the current version got cl_maxfps 50 (IIRC) limiter. You can set it to any bigger (or lesser) value, but game is hardcoded to 250 fps max to avoid burning GPU like Starcraft II did.
Second, the game is based on the idTech2 engine, which was designed for the first-person dungeon crawling game, not the strategic "bird's eye" view. So, it really underuses the GPU and overuses the CPU as the result.

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: gfx performance
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 03:58:57 pm »
Right, but I'm seeing fps dip to 35 in battlescape, when zooming out and there's nothing happening. My cpu or gpu don't seem to max out either.

btw cl_maxfps didn't seem to do anything, I set it to 150 just to see how it goes and restarted the game, but it stays capped at 50  :o