project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Hangars...  (Read 3639 times)

Offline Damyen

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Hangars...
« on: May 01, 2013, 05:17:01 pm »
Hello,

It seems that hangars are changing their names in v2.5-dev : "Small" and "Large" hangars are becoming "Interceptor" and "Dropship" hangars. Thus, I understand that the small hangar will only host Interceptors, and the large ones only Dropships, right? But then, where where will the Raptor stay ? The description of the aircraft says it has both cargo and combat purposes, so what should I guess?.

This "very very important question" left apart, there could be some solutions to make the choice of a hangar a more strategic decision. For example, large hangars could have advantages (worth their price and size) like : Quicker repair rates / Quicker equipment mounting or dismounting / Quicker refuelling / Ability to host 2 small sized aircraft (like Stiletto) / Ability to host 1 UFO to speed up disassemby / etc.

Does it sound reasonable ?

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Hangars...
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 07:03:16 pm »
Raptor will go to dropship hangar as it is more of an armed dropship than a troop-carrying interceptor.

Offline Damyen

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 09:48:47 pm »
About the Raptor, I actualy thought it was a dropship... With big guns, though ;).

With this post, I just wanted to point out that it was (maybe) an opportunity to change the "Large/Dropship" hangar into an "Advanced" hangar, with notable features that compel to really make decisions regarding the whole strategy (for now, "Large/Small" or "Dropship/Interceptor" seems of little importance-).

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 07:23:21 am »
The function of the hangar didn't change, they were specific to plane types before too. And I don't think we want to change it now. We changed their name because Small/Large was misleading, some players thought they could store any aircraft in the small one and large one is just to store more.

Btw. The UFO Paedia and the buy/sell menu tells you which Hangar is needed for an aircraft... but it  still says small/large. H-Hour, this must have been overseen.

-geever

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 12:32:27 pm »
Btw. The UFO Paedia and the buy/sell menu tells you which Hangar is needed for an aircraft... but it  still says small/large. H-Hour, this must have been overseen.

The ufopaedia entries for the hangars or the aircraft or both? And where does the buy/sell menu draw its info from? The definitions in aircraft and building ufos is correct, I believe.

Offline Damyen

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 10:31:19 pm »
Hello. Here are some details to clarify my opinion (and an opinion only).

1- "UFOpaedia" and "Buy/Sell menu"
UFOpaedia contains detailled informations about what hangar is needed only for Stiletto, Saracen, Firebird. Futher messages about new aircrafts don't... and don't need it, because the "The Buy/Sell" is done well enough to avoid any mistake if you pay some attention (I am not writing I could not make this mistake...). Plus, my 2c about Raptor were only here to tell : "See, anyhow I can make a mistake if I trust names only".

2- Differences between hangars
There are few differences only between hangars : names, price, size, aircraft they can hold, and a surface exit (large has, small doesn't). So, when playing, you must build a large hangar before buying a transport, and you must build a small hangar before buying an interceptor, whatever the situation is (ex. : if you don't have enough money, you must wait for the required amount). That's all; and I find this to be quite different of other well done features of the game, that compel you to make real decisions.

3- So what ?
a) Hangars could host any type of aircraft (If I really were a Commander, I would order scientits to find something out to solve the hangar-aircraft compatibility problem ;))
b) A large hangar could offer advanced features (even for the whole base it is build in, if it is to tedious to implement a precise link between hangar assignment and aircraft), that would create a dilemma when choosing large ou small hangars.

4- And what if only the names changes, anyway ?
I will enjoy the game, anyway :)

Thx for reading.

Offline Damyen

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 11:48:33 pm »
The ufopaedia entries for the hangars or the aircraft or both?
Both.
- Hangars' descriptions display things like : "The Large Hangar cannot house small craft due to incompatible support equipment such as fuel lines".
- Firebird, Saracen, Stiletto display things like "The Firebird requires 1 Large Hangar for storage, maintenance and deployment."

And where does the buy/sell menu draw its info from?
In the .po files, you 'll find 2 msg ids for "Small" and "Large"
 #: client/cgame/campaign/cp_ufopedia.cpp:170
 #: client/cgame/campaign/cp_ufopedia.cpp:172