project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: [2.5-dev] unable to get current UFOradiant to work ?!  (Read 3090 times)

Offline BhOg

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
[2.5-dev] unable to get current UFOradiant to work ?!
« on: April 01, 2013, 10:55:11 am »
Is there any way to get the current 1.6 UFORadiant to work at all?

I did a full install of "ufoai-latest-win32" from 2013-03-24 and 2013-03-29, but UFORadiant never worked, only ate 100% on one CPU core until I killed it.

The download "Map Editor (Windows, x86) Windows UFORadiant (Mapeditor) 1.6 (≈16 MB)" on http://ufoai.org/wiki/Download
  • installs with the fixed path "C:\program files\UFORadiant-1.6.0" without asking, which is an absolute no-go: I don't want any non-system software on my system drive;e.g. the game is installed to "F:\Games\UFOAI-2.5-dev"; furthermore, using \program files\ can cause a shitload of trouble on "professional" systems when run from restricted user accounts (what I would normally do!) ...
  • asks for the engine path at startup, but shows the correct path to the game installation  ... oh, wait, possibly I just found a bug:
    The game installer installs into "F:\Games\UFOAI-2.5-dev", but the UFORadiant setup suggests "F:/Games/UFOAI-2.5dev".
    But even after correcting the path entry, it says "could not load ufos/entities.ufo", most likely because there's no such file in the game folder?!
  • is severely outdated: A directory/file compare between the standalone installation and the Radiant in the game folder showed the standalone is missing 49 prefabs, and almost all files have been changed in the meantime

Btw., I found I have a \maps\ folder full of .MAPs, but if I go to extract the "0maps.pk3" (as told by the wiki), I get all the maps again - in .BSP format. Is this intentional, and correct?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 11:37:31 am by H-Hour »

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [2.5-dev] unable to get current UFOradiant to work ?!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 11:36:38 am »
Btw., I found I have a \maps\ folder full of .MAPs, but if I go to extract the "0maps.pk3" (as told by the wiki), I get all the maps again - in .BSP format. Is this intentional, and correct?

Yes, it's correct. MAP files are edited in Radiant, then compiled into BSP files to be used in-game.

Offline BhOg

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Re: [2.5-dev] unable to get current UFOradiant to work ?!
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 12:11:19 pm »
Yes, it's correct. MAP files are edited in Radiant, then compiled into BSP files to be used in-game.
"compiling" a 460Kb file into 4MB? Someone seriously failed his software engineering dice roll here ...  ;)

However, I think I found out why the "build-in" UFORadiant does not work on Win XP (32-bit):

The standalone version uses
  • C:\%PROGRAMFILES%\UFORadiant-1.6.0\ (hardcoded installation path)
  • %APPDATA%\UFOAI\radiant\ (i.e. "c:\documents and settings\{user}\Application Data\"

The full installer version seemingly looks for the XML files in
  • %path%
  • %LOCALAPPDATA%\UFOAI\radiant\ (i.e. "c:\documents and settings\{user}\Local Settings\Application Data\"
.. where 2) is clearly erroneous, as the installer creates %APPDATA%\UFOAI\2.5-dev\base\ and %APPDATA%\UFOAI\radiant\.
Interestingly enough "%LOCALAPPDATA%" variable doesn't even exist on WinXP afaik, so somehow the path must be build from %user%\Local Settings\Application Data, including proper localisation (translation) of the folder names?!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 02:13:22 pm by H-Hour »