project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: I Keep losing the game....  (Read 5795 times)

Offline Baryonyx Sleepery

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
I Keep losing the game....
« on: March 25, 2013, 06:03:45 am »
Hi there, first I want to congratulate for this super cool game. Wonder full :-)

Second, I want to apologize in advance for my bad English. Sorry to y'all.... :-D

Third I'm sorry to say, but I think I may have found a bug.

No matter what I do, I keep losing the game. I dont know if it is my poor understanding of the game mechanics or some kind of weird bug. But as I said, no matter what I do I get the ' you have lost the game' kinda of message. No matter how many battles I win, no matter how much tech I research. I get the keep getting that screen, and after that the game is basically over.

Like last night I was playing. Everything was fine, I won all the encounters with the aliens so far, and I was expanding (building new bases) and suddently, out of nowhere, I got the 'game over' screen. WTF?

Anyways, before I post all the spec of my computer and everything else required, I just want to be sure that this is a bug. And not a example of my monumental lack of attention  8)

ciao

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
Re: I Keep losing the game....
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 06:31:01 am »
How about attaching a savegame?

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 11:30:04 am »
Where are usually save games placed?

Windows7

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 11:42:45 am »
Found it.

This is the last savegame, before the 'game over screen' of death!

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 01:26:29 pm »
I haven't looked at your save game, but my guess is you're not keeping a close eye on Nation Happiness. You can access it in the Statistics window (available from the global view). You need to keep them happy, and this means especially early in the game you need to expand quickly. Otherwise nations that are not covered by radar/interceptions will experience frequent alien attacks and quickly become unsatisfied with your performance.

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 04:50:43 pm »
Imo there are two major mistakes you made.

First, your base radar covers a lot of ocean. Thus a lot of the UFOs you shoot down will be lost to sea. Try building your first base on a big land mass, where your radar covers at least parts of three different nations. Use the nation borders overlay to find the best place for this. Why did you only catch 8 out of 15 UFOs so far?

Second, you did not expand your radar coverage. After building a second interceptor hangar in your first base, I recommend setting up a second base immediately. Again, try to find a place where the radar of your second base will cover different nations. You can also build radar towers and SAM-sites to detect and take down more UFOs. There is no need to preserve money in the beginning. You will earn a lot by selling alien artefacts. Use it to expand as soon as it comes in.

Radar coverage and selling UFOs is key when it comes to keep the nations happy in the beginning.

That said, if you are starting out playing UFO: AI, we recommend playing 2.5-dev, which is considered being fairly stable and contains a lot of new content.

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 05:59:09 pm »
Oh ok that expains everything. Yes I had the suspicion that there was something I missed, but I just wanted to be sure. Thank's for the help  :)

I will give a try of the 2.5.

ciao