project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: LAN crashes frequently  (Read 4644 times)

Offline amiba

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
LAN crashes frequently
« on: March 23, 2013, 10:02:29 pm »
Hello,

I always had problems playing a 2 party coop game with version 2.4. Often the problem occurs already when one player has finished loading the level and the second one wants to join. It starts loading for the second one and soon he gets dropped from the server. This happens often a few times in a row, before it suddeny works, without us having made any obvious changes. If this yorks fine and we play alien rush it appears in 99% of all cases that the game crushes for one party during the game. In the bginning this always happened when someone used a needler, now it starts happening also with the XAW95... but the needler works now fine, on the other hand.

Unfortunately I did not find any other comments on this forum or the internet describing my problem or, even better, offering some solutions. It would be great if someone could help,

remark: we use two laptops Sony/Acer with win7

Thank you very much,

amiba
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 10:13:03 pm by amiba »

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Re: LAN crashes frequently
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 01:14:39 pm »
thanks for reporting.

sorry for not answering your question - but asking for help: could you please check whether you have the same problems in the 2.5-dev version of the game? It would really help us to make the game more stable for network games, too

you can find the 2.5-dev nightly installers here

thanks a lot.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 02:54:39 pm »
Just so you know, there is a problem with weapons that have a high shot count (Needler, XAW). The large number of shots can overwhelm the game and this is exacerbated in multiplayer for reasons I don't know. Please, as mattn requested, test 2.5-dev and use the Needler to see what it's like (shot count has been reduced in 2.5, but is still one of the highest). But after you've tested you will likely find more stability avoiding these weapons.

As you found, there are not a lot of people playing multiplayer. But we really need more people trying it out and reporting bugs so we can get it stable and improve the overall experience.

Offline amiba

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 03:58:06 pm »
Hello

we've installed 2.5 but now we get an error message so far we could not menage to paly in LAN.

see attachment ( error message)

kind regards

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 05:57:58 pm »
which gametype did you play? coop? 1on1? anything else you can add as detail here?

Offline amiba

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 06:59:49 pm »
Hello,

we tried coop2 only.
We have tried it for about one hour in total, so far, without succeeding.
Most often we are dropped from the server due to "time out" back to the entrance-menue of the game. If we both manage to upload the level and only have to click (ready? "fertig" in german) one of us gets dropped completely out of the game after clicking ready, and back to windows with the error message posted above.
There is also a suspicuous pointless red dot which appears when we choose the type of game (coop 2), see attachment. This dot appears again once the level is loaded. Unfortunately I did not make a screenshot of it as I again could not start the multiplayer game.
When we loaunch the multiplayer from the acer Pc (windows 7) we always get dropped before we reach the "waiting for players" screen. Only if the Lan cable is unplugged and only plugged back in when the "waiting for players" screen appears this computers gets not immediatly dropped. But when the second one joins and confirmes to start the game... "Hasta La Vista"

Thank you very much for taking care of the game! I already loved playing Terror from the deep and I am grateful you are taking care of the successor.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 07:31:48 pm »
the red dot is there, because you are playing the developer version of the game - this is a reminder to ourselves to tweak the ui.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 07:36:13 pm »
btw. it would also be nice if you maybe could attach the log files to the bug ticket.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 10:37:55 pm »

Offline amiba

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 10:44:34 am »
Hello