project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Mods option?  (Read 3032 times)

Offline Latino210

• Squad Leader
  • UFORadiant mapper
    • View Profile
Mods option?
« on: March 25, 2013, 01:52:45 am »
I've just discovered the "Mods" option. Since I am interested in building a new mod, I would like to know how to use it. Can anyone help?

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Re: Mods option?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 09:49:53 am »
i'm trying to collect information about it in the wiki at http://ufoai.org/wiki/Mod

feel free to ask questions and i will extend the article(s).

Offline Latino210

• Squad Leader
  • UFORadiant mapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 02:48:39 pm »
All right, I made a "Mod" dir on the ufoAI directory, I made a new directory there with the name of my mod, then I copied the entire "Base" dir on it, deleting the files that I do want to keep from the original ufo (music, textures and some other things). Thanks for your help, as soon as I can set my priorities I will start working on the mod and trying to recruit a coder!

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 02:57:46 pm »
All of the base files will automatically be loaded, so by copying the files and then deleting the ones you don't want you've actually done nothing. You should work in the opposite fashion: overwrite the files you don't want in your mod with new files, but leaving the rest of the files in the /base/ directory.

This gets more complicated, however, when you talk about music, etc. Overwriting the files will not stop the game from trying to play them. Instead, you should look through the UFO scripts to find where the items are referenced, then change this reference to a file you want or remove it where applicable. Not everything is specified via the UFO scripts, but a lot of it is.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 03:01:33 pm »
You will also probably find useful the stickied post in this forum on where to find basic things in the UFO scripts.