project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Through wall shots  (Read 3742 times)

Offline GPS51

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Through wall shots
« on: February 22, 2013, 07:31:46 pm »
I'd like to suggest that shooting through either the dropship walls or ufo floors/wall be eliminated. I haven't gone into a UFO since I figured this out as it's so much safer (especially with the humungous corrupter ships). When using the dropship heracles, it's essentially a 3 sided pillbox for snipers. I believe this takes a lot away from the tactical gameplay. Just my 2 cents :)

Offline Triaxx2

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Through wall shots
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 02:06:06 am »
I don't know about gone, but perhaps it can be a toggleable feature? I tend to forget I can do it.

Offline Kaleh

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 12:51:10 pm »
But only snipers and coilguns do that and on thin walls, so you cant use it all the time.

Offline anonymissimus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 01:18:04 pm »
The Herakles walls can be shot through ? I'm sure I checked that...Maybe no more, opening post is more than 2 years old.

The thickness of a something does not really relate to whether it can be shot through. Would you have guessed you can shoot through the complete grassy hilltop that's present on the far side on the "workshop" map ? Or through the solid rocks on "wilderness" ? With basic snipers even.

In 2.6 however, I frequently see it failing for no apparent reason, since other times it works, with the same shooting direction, weapon/ammunition and so on. Thus throughwall shots are less powerful and I guess it depends somehow on the difficulty scaling; if I get unlucky, the damage is not enough to remain after going through the wall.
Please don't change it, it's hard enough to train snipers.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 01:23:20 pm by anonymissimus »

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 06:53:00 pm »
Indeed obstacle thickness doesn't matter in the sniper rifle/coilgun vs bolter issue where they really differ is in the number of obstacles a shoot might go through (2 vs 3 IIRC) not the thickness of said obstacles.

But there is a max shotthrough thickness defined in the source, so shooting through whole mountains is most definitely a bug, which I cannot guarantee that won't be fixed at some point (if that's what you mean with "Please don't change it")

But yes the shot weakens with each obstacle it has to pierce, so it is possible that it's just too weak to go through (specially if trying to shot through more than one object)