project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Just started 2.4  (Read 2086 times)

Offline Kjaamor

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Just started 2.4
« on: February 02, 2013, 01:26:44 am »
...and I'm loving it! :) Having played through X-com's TftD and Apocalypse, and watched a full 'Let's play' of EU, I needed a new dose of this kind of thing, and AI really has provided! Of course, the TftD habit of shooting down everything possible and doing every mission remains, and I'm about thirty battles into the early game. :)

Things I love

The feel, and general polish. Can't fault it. Graphics, interface, and attention to detail are all lovely and there is none of the 'fan-made' stench that has ruined so many indie rpgs I've played (that is to say it feels very professional).

The tech tree: After TftD particularly, EU was a disappointment in this regard, as the whole tech system seemed very light and easy to max without effort. AI feels like it is forcing me to build those labs (my workshop capacity, particularly, has suffered) and really having to make some tech decisions.

The maps: ...are pleasantly small, but filled with enough tech and action. TftD and Apocalypse both suffered from 'map-sweeping syndrome' which meant missions involving just a few aliens could take forever to complete. Also, the grouping of the aliens is such as to prevent locker-searching every inch, but without the rigid and repetitive placement of EU.

The no saving within missions: This was something that the early x-com series could've really used (had they of rolled the difficulty down, I suppose). Keeps a nice flow, and means that men actually die in command.

Extra radars and SAM sites: :)

Things I'm not so certain about

UFOs hunting transports: On the surface it's really cool, adds to the battle feel, and encourages thinking (first time I had to fly right around the world, stopping at a second base). However I'm now stuck in a position where a transport leaving a mission has no hope of getting away from a UFO that is about to appear. The transport is armoured and armed, but doesn't stand a chance. As it is, it's carrying my second team, and I can afford the loss (JUST!) enough to see what the recovery mission provides. If I lost my first squad, I don't know if I'd have continued.

As a possible suggestion, although your mileage may vary, I would allow squads to land and escape in these instances, but let the ship be destroyed (and the men have to be picked up). Perhaps the ship costs could be increased to increase the penalty for this (although as it stands, a fully armed transport will cost me over half of my precious budget anyway).

Weapon Requirements: To a degree, it's not a bad thing, but some of them seem outlandish. I gleefully balanced my tech in order to get the plasma rifle (which I understand is underpowered in 2.4, but anyway), and then, just as I was ready to unleash hell, I saw the requirements. Proficiency in Heavy AND Assault. I blinked a little at that. I've done over thirty missions, most of them with the same eight people. Only one of them had Proficiency in Heavy, and NONE of them were Proficient in Assault. Hell, when I unlocked the Plasma rifles, none were even competent. This is a bit much. While we're at it...

Unit Levelling: Normally, I sing the praises of the old games, but this was one where I felt EU got it better. Keep roles clear, keep progression paths with some choices - some arbitrary, allow some levelling choices for the player, and ensure all classes improve at roughly the same pace when used equally. When my heavy achieves proficiency with less kills than any of my 'average' assaults or snipers, something is up.

Although the promotions seem to work well.

Overwatch: Again, I understand that this is being seriously overhauled in 2.5, and it truly needs to be. Faults within the system would be bearable if they were equal between the two sides. Yet the Aliens overwatch like they can see through time itself, whereas I've had, I think, less than five overwatch shots taken over 30+ battles (no kills). If a forward-facing alien can overwatch shoot me BEFORE I shoot him, at the very least let my forward-facing men overwatch shoot them AFTER they've shot me. It's a shame, because the setup (choose your overwatch shot type, etc) is good, but the reality makes it a fool's hope.

Manufacturing/Economy: I'm just reaching the stage where I need to get workshopping, which is cool, and similar to the way TftD handled things. That's good. Do I leave it too late, or get on early? The joys of balancing! :) What isn't cool is the absurd options for manufacturing. I can manufacture anything that is for sale on the open market for the same prices + manhours. It's just daft. I understand the need to prevent the money-shops manufacturing has been in the past but it would be better to just disable making common items, increase the availability of those common items (even if they are still limited enough to make weapon variation a necessity), and have a limited profit margin on manufactured rare/alien tech.

By the same token, instant delivery of troops/items seems a bit daft, especially when coupled with the fact items have the same resale value. With a small amount of effort, half the costs in the game could be effectively negated by simply borrowing items from the shop then selling them back. This isn't a particularly good gameplay option. If the aliens catch me with my trousers down and attack a base with three soldiers, two pistols and a grenade, I shouldn't be able to hire 8 more with machine guns the minute they arrive. Especially if it costs me nothing to do so.

Nonetheless, the whole thing presents and generally plays well, and kudos for creating something as good as this. It's worth stating that I have many gripes with the x-com series in all its outings, even as I love them. It's also worth pointing out that the complaints only appear to be more lengthy because they are things that I would suggest, while the successes generally just need a simple 'well done'!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 01:51:56 am by Kjaamor »

Offline krilain

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Just started 2.4
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 01:48:03 am »
Hi Kjaamor,

Nice review. Readable, clear, clever. I also think that this 2.4 is really great. Moreover, important point for me, it is light enough to run on a relatively slow computer.

I loved your description. And I noticed this remark in particular, with which I agree totally :
Quote from: Kjaamor
As a possible suggestion, although your mileage may vary, I would allow squads to land and escape in these instances, but let the ship be destroyed (and the men have to be picked up). Perhaps the ship costs could be increased to increase the penalty for this (although as it stands, a fully armed transport will cost me over half of my precious budget anyway).

The ideas emited about soldiers levelage are very sensitive too. You have now to end the 2.4 campain and download the still under dev. 2.5 version. I have the feeling that you would say some accurate things about this one also, which would be pretty appreciated here in my opinion.

Have a good night.