project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: A quick overview on my first launch of 2.5dev  (Read 2479 times)

Offline krilain

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
A quick overview on my first launch of 2.5dev
« on: January 26, 2013, 04:03:34 pm »
I was on 2.4 which was very stable, but in order to have a look over the new features I've decided to change for the 2.5 dev version. A lot of work has been made, a lot of tweaking and introduction of new stuff. This game + his boards are a very huge machine indeed. Ok so here come some remarks about the 2.5 --> the version I've precisely played is the January10th's one.

1st remark. Exactly like for the 2.4 (under XP), there was no display (black screen) at first launch. Solved at second attempt. The problem is the need of a process kill when the first attempt fails, that can perturbate some people if no prevention made (a readme?).

The other remark is that when windowed, I don't see the progression bar at bottom at the loading screen. I would have prefered this bar to be at top, because the loading is long for me so this bar is really needed ;-)

SETTINGS
The initial settings pop-up is a great idea. Maybe a first language question may be really appreciated before to have to read the set up, but anyway that's good.

About the overall settings a few things.
The mod (frame window) would require a mod small description text (or author, or goal text...).

About the tips when you're about to check a setting box. It is really nice to have put extensive text to explain what are the consequences of checking such or such box. But it would be really great to add a comment about the effects on the perfomances. For instance, "Precache models" : tips = "means having faster menus" ; but about perf. does it imply "but will eat more memory"..?

About the video, choosing the best setting would be easier with an immediate test. But I imagine that wouldn't be easy to add. Anyway just a remark.

About "Flares" , there is only 2 check box, low and high if I remember well. What about the medium option :-) ?

In general showing more tips about performance would be my only wish indeed.

Menu GLSL. Disabled for me.

In the gameplay settings, I've seen some new HUD choices. I dont think so, but isn't there the Homonculus one? or not yet ?

TUTORIAL
I decidedly wouldn't call that a tutorial. Just a question of good naming, I would prefere this to be entitled "Get started overview" or something like that.

BATTLESCAPE
I tried the alternate HUD, and unless I missed something, I dont get centered on my char when I double-click on the head.

Last remarks are put in attachments. I think some remarks have already been made around here, it is just as to complete this chart of first impressions.

One is about eclipses. I find that there are too many. I just show the 1st I've met, as a curiosity lets say ;-). Then comes a tiny problem of heads that look a little too big. Third thing is rather a bug, and unless already reported I will post about it in the bug section if not solved at 2.5 release.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 04:12:13 pm by krilain »

Offline Noordung

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: A quick overview on my first launch of 2.5dev
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 10:44:47 pm »
Didnt have any problems with 2.5. Loading times are much longer, especially later when there are more bases. If you go very fast forward when game pasue becouse of some event it will pause for few minutes and you cant go forward that time.

And is there any difference in aliens on battlescape on very easy or very hard? Except that they are supposed to get better weapons later.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 11:04:28 pm »
And is there any difference in aliens on battlescape on very easy or very hard? Except that they are supposed to get better weapons later.

The type and number of aliens, and their weaponry, does not change with difficulty levels. However, the pace of new aliens/ufos/weaponry will be quicker in harder difficulty levels.

Offline Noordung

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 10:42:46 pm »
So very easy may not be so very easy after all...