project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Have TU be visible on the soldier status / equip screens  (Read 4123 times)

Offline Quizer

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Have TU be visible on the soldier status / equip screens
« on: January 22, 2013, 02:51:31 pm »
TU is a vital statistic - everyone who has actually played a battle instead of clicking 'auto mission' would probably agree. And yet there is currently no way to see how many TUs your soldier gets per turn until you actually take him/her into battle. I suggest making TUs visible in the personnel / equip screens.

Alternatively, you could make the mouseover in the equip screen more elaborate - show total TUs there and then break down how the game arrived at that number: base TUs, bonus from speed, bonus/penalty from encumbrance/whatever else is applicable.

If the latter solution is preferred, I'd still like to be able to see the TUs a new hireling will get with his speed stat, but that could be done via mouseover on the speed stat.

(Should I just continue cross-posting bugs and improvement ideas straight to the trackers, or I should I wait for them to be vetted here first? What about really minor things, like the suggestion to call 'Reloading time' on aircraft weapons 'Fire rate' or something to that effect? (To me, it was not clear what 'Reloading time' meant until I realized that reloading weapons at a base doesn't actually take any time at all...))

Quizer

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Have TU be visible on the soldier status / equip screens
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 02:56:18 pm »
The SF tracker is the place to log and deal with a bug/feature request, where devs may ignore, close or address the item. Use the forum if you want to discuss the feature with non-devs.

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 04:56:33 pm »
In fact the tooltip on the equipment screen already shows the TU and the encumbrance penalty (latest version)

Offline Quizer

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 05:36:08 pm »
How recent is this change? In my version (13/01/19) it only shows the bonus/penalty.

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 05:42:45 pm »
From the 17th, which incidentally is the last commit included in the nightly which currently stuck...

Offline Quizer

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 05:57:30 pm »
Seeing the total in the tooltip is a good start, but I'd really like to be able to quantify the gain from the speed skill... it's all so intransparent. :(

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 06:09:29 pm »
Seeing the total in the tooltip is a good start, but I'd really like to be able to quantify the gain from the speed skill... it's all so intransparent. :(

If you want to deconstruct the game, you should really start code-diving yourself to figure out how it works. There is such a thing as too much information in the UI.

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 06:23:04 pm »
From the 17th, which incidentally is the last commit included in the nightly which currently stuck...
Hmmm, I forgot that I didn't push that one until yesterday, just as I thought I had pushed my latest commit yesterday, but apparently not...
Anyway this shows that the last successful nightly build is from... the 10th? That's not good...

Offline Quizer

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 06:38:10 pm »
If you want to deconstruct the game, you should really start code-diving yourself to figure out how it works. There is such a thing as too much information in the UI.
If there was a wiki where I could look up this information, that would be okay, but there isn't - the ufoai.org page on skills is supremely vague and probably a couple years old. You really can't expect the average gamer who is interested in details about the game mechanics to have the skills or inclination to go trawl through the game's code to find them. Exactly what stats do and how you gain experience for them shouldn't be secret information.

Can you at least point me in the right direction as far as looking at scripts / code goes? I'd really like to know.

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 11:10:39 pm »
In fact the info here is accurate - at least for now ;)

Offline Quizer

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 10:54:13 am »
Thanks, that does help, and the pages are more informative than I remember them.

Hm... the TU formula shown there implies that the TU bonus from speed is not subject to encumbrance, but I've seen soldiers get different amounts of TU bonus or penalty, even though the left part of the equation should always be the same (assuming the encumbrance state of the soldiers in question is the same).

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 01:25:33 pm »
"100 points per enemy hit using the "Assault" skill", does this mean that subsequent hits on the same enemy do not reward more points? So you'd get more points by scoring a hit on two enemies, than by hitting the same enemy twice?