project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Some tech pictures - proposal  (Read 4725 times)

Offline krilain

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Some tech pictures - proposal
« on: January 21, 2013, 12:00:14 am »
Edit : i've transferd my propagand posters at my poll website finally. So recycling this room for other stuff ;-)

So Edited for cleaning purpose.
There will be 2 tech pictures proposed (if needed, and complying the licence hopefully):
  • Alien infiltration tech
  • Vaccine tech

In order to let the topic be readable, I will spare those elements in edited posts.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 01:39:43 am by krilain »

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Alien Infiltration tech - proposal
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 10:32:43 am »
I must have missed this when you first posted it. To be honest, I like your first version best. I'll get it integrated soon if someone else doesn't do it first. Thanks.

Offline krilain

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 12:03:15 pm »
I've rebuilt again the first work, about alien infiltration.

I tried this time to use the same pattern as used in the other tech pictures. Some day I will try to get a renderer, or to use Blender, but for the moment that will be still a little granular and melted/blended. The pic already made are far more smooth and often pure for the lines and colours. Anyway, I followed the manual.

Incidently I've grabbed some stuff from wikipedia, so some licence will be to check here :
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:UTC_hue4map_X_world_CET-24h-NorthPolarProjection.png

One remark with this CC0 map linked above. It's about the Phallanx logo. It should use this map representation of the countries because, the other, more classical one, that has been choosed for now, is not the UNO's one. The UNO's one is like in this linked example (for equality reasons).
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 02:24:25 am by krilain »

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 01:45:40 pm »
It is a little bit rough, but it suffices for placeholder artwork. If you're willing to polish it up that'd be great. I'd love to see the colors and the style of the first one, but with the 3-d city of the 2nd/3rd one. It'd also be good if you didn't make it look like a "device" (on/off, directional buttons), because our lore doesn't really have a detection device.

Offline krilain

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Vaccination tech - proposal
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 05:05:25 am »
I keep this for historical purpose ...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 01:55:24 am by krilain »

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Some tech pictures - proposal
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 12:49:40 pm »
I like the concept and the layout, but there are some weird things going on with pixelation and colors, I think. It seems like you have scaled up a lot of the elements, which leads to pixelation. One thing you should try to do is generate your source material in very high resolutions and then scale down to get natural anti-aliasing for a smoother look.

If you look at places like the stem of the microscope (from the base to the upper body), you can see that there are small 1 pixel derivations in your lines. These kinds of small imperfections add up throughout the piece to give it a kind of sloppy look, and would probably be reduced if you were working at a high resolution and scaling down.

In terms of the coloring, I'm not really sure what to advise,  but I would suggest starting with more natural colors and maybe fewer colors. Color balancing is really not very easy to do (I consult my partner for all of my artwork, as she has a very good eye for color - UI2's colors owe a lot to her refinements). Getting different elements to blend is not easy but color is a really big part of this. It can help to look at other things you like and steal color samples from them to see how different colors mix.

Offline krilain

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
2 tech pictures proposed
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 08:25:34 pm »
Thanks for all the remarks H-Hour.

Here so the pic I would leave here for being a vaccine tech candidate. It has been smoothed a lot compared to the first model - and I love the "grains" so much that it was not easy. But maybe this will have also to comply with the pattern, no?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 02:38:19 am by krilain »