project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Heavy Weapons  (Read 3900 times)

Offline tembero

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Heavy Weapons
« on: January 13, 2013, 01:07:31 pm »
Can the heavy weapons stat be changed to energy weapons skills as it is unused. flamer and machine gun are covered well in their presently respective skills sets?

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Heavy Weapons
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 06:35:17 pm »
Can the heavy weapons stat be changed to energy weapons skills as it is unused. flamer and machine gun are covered well in their presently respective skills sets?

Could , but Why??

-geever

Offline Sandro

• Squad Leader
  • Maintenance guy for UFO:AI 3D engine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 08:04:11 pm »
To be sued by Bethesda Softworks on copying the Fallout's S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system they currently own :)

(just a joke -- they do have a separate Heavy Weapons skill, so no match if it is excluded)

Offline tembero

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 01:27:51 am »
There is a whole bar on the soldier stats screen screaming to have meaning! I thought I had the golden challis with the contriversial energy weapons suggestion but moments after I posted, it occured to me that they fall into near, medium and far spectrum of weapons analysis. 

Offline tembero

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 01:28:47 am »
Melee Skill?? - It's the one this time, this idea is the winner!

Offline Sarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 07:54:46 am »
Heavy weapons skill gotta be removed. So many times I had excellent recruit show up, with 36+ STR, 20+ speed and accuracy and 30+ mind, but his main weapon skill was heavy :/

Speaking about skills, I get a feeling that assault skill is now kinda overused. Okay, I got only as far as needlers so far in newest game, but when I look at my team...1 has close skill weapon, 2 snipers, 2 explosive, and 7 assault, and these guys have most kills.

Offline Anarch Cassius

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 08:28:55 am »
My snipers get all the kills because they tend to not die as much. Followed by close combatants because they tend to not get hit with RF as much. Assaults survivability is only just above explosives experts... who tend to die before they get good enough to fire a reasonable weapon from a reasonable distance. If you get them that far they rock though.

The thing with melee is that right now accuracy is kind of FUBAR. I know ranges aren't meant to be totally realistic but even skilled soldiers can't even fire across the large maps with accuracy, much less a realistic distance. Meanwhile I have yet to see anyone miss anything with a melee weapon or flame thrower, so the idea of a skill is kind of moot without an accuracy revamp. If we can get a better range fall-off than it would be an awesome skill. I'd also like see a Medic and other non-weapon skills.

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 08:56:29 am »
Quote from: Sarin
Speaking about skills, I get a feeling that assault skill is now kinda overused

True especially in later game when SMGs and such are mostly obsolete, but I think that's because most weapons really belong in assault skill category. I don't think it's an entirely bad thing - mid-range assault weapons are the versatile all purpose tools in battle, close, sniper and ex are specialties.

Quote from: Anarch Cassius
explosives experts... who tend to die before they get good enough to fire a reasonable weapon from a reasonable distance. If you get them that far they rock though.
What other weapons are the for the explo man, but rocket launcher and grenade launcher? It would be nice to have one or two appear in mid or late game. Ex skill is important for everyone though since you need it for throwing grenades.

Speaking of which, are there plans for introducing more poweful ammo for the rocket launcher? Like antimatter rockets, or plasma warheads or something similar?

Quote from: Anarch Cassius
I'd also like see a Medic and other non-weapon skills.
I second that. But what other non-weapon skills could there be than medic?

Offline Sarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 10:20:33 am »
My close/assault guys actually tend to survive quite well, because I use flashbangs, IR goggles and plasma grenades a lot. Biggest problem for me is fighting on medium ranges outside of reach of grenades, and those damn speedy shevaars.

I think there is an improved ammo for rocket launcher eventually, after researching alien launcher and missiles.

Offline tembero

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 04:51:22 pm »
Does the specific weapons skills not define damage potential and the accuracy, well, the accuracy?!. In this case a Melee weapons skill would be of coincidence even if even attack is successful. The alternative would be a defence skill to set a variable offset against an incoming attack additional to the armour, but this would most likely only favour the aliens which already counter as an adequate foe.

+ in addition, the plasma blaster ball weapon is area effect so could be classed as explosive skill, general as it kills your own soldiers readily enough in Close Combat!! lol

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 10:04:39 pm »
the plasma blaster ball weapon is area effect so could be classed as explosive skill, general as it kills your own soldiers readily enough in Close Combat!! lol
Don't fire ball mode at point blank! Actually most of my friendly fire kills have been sniper rifle mishaps, but the aliens seem to kill themselves more often with the plasma blaster, like last night, a sheevar sneaked on one of my soldiers, shoot him in the back at point blank, my soldier lived to fight another day (barely - thanks nano-armour), the sheevar didn't.