project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: dragging weapons in battlescape?  (Read 7793 times)

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
dragging weapons in battlescape?
« on: December 29, 2012, 02:48:30 pm »
what is the function of being able to drag a weapon with the mouse in battlescape?

is it possible to throw items, like ammo or medikits?

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: dragging weapons in battlescape?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 10:33:45 am »
could someone answer these questions, please?

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 01:05:55 pm »
I don't even know what you're talking about.

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 01:25:54 pm »
Sorry if I was unclear. In battlescape, at the bottom corner you can see the selected soldier's weapon: you can "grab" it with your mouse and drag it around. Is this useful somehow?

Second question was if it is possible to throw items other than grenades, like, if a soldier is out of ammo, can another trooper toss a clip his way or is it necessary to drop it, walk away then have the soldier in need walk to that square where he can then pick it up? Can a desperate trooper throw his empty weapon at an approaching alien?

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 02:05:53 pm »
I've never tried to do this. I'm guessing it has no function.

Weapons can't be thrown unless they've been designed to be thrown (ie - a firemode and projectile effect has been created for that).

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 10:53:58 pm »
I've never tried to do this. I'm guessing it has no function.

text "out 0, in 1" appears in the weapon box if you try it, looks like someone meant that to have a function of some sort...

Offline Telok

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 02:11:43 am »
It has something to do with the inventory code. If you open up the soldier inventory window it's the same "out 0, in 1" on the weapon hand. That HUD is probably just linking the weapon image directly to the inventory and the weapon image acts like the inventory.

Offline homunculus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 09:51:54 am »
the weapon in hud-s is container, just like the weapon hand in the inventory screen.
just the hud designer did not make the container a ghost (ignores mouse gestures).
this is not really a flaw, as you cannot drop it anywhere else than the hand in battlescape anyway (though maybe you can put it in the other hand if it is not a two-handed weapon).

*cough* there is a user mod hud that lets the drag do something useful in battlescape (no throwing by dragging, though, throwing is one of the actions (listed among firemodes) that you can do with only some items like medkits and ir-goggles).

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 10:19:02 am »
medkits, and ir goggles of all things are throwable?  :o

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 06:18:45 pm »
medkits, and ir goggles of all things are throwable?  :o
Medikits are no longer throwable in 2.5, oh and don't forget grenades and knives, they are throwable - throwing things is actually a firemode, using the same mechanics than throwing grenades/knives.

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 06:56:39 pm »
hmm yes I actually had tried to throw a medkit earlier and couldn't do it - I wanted to give a medikit to another soldier who was a couple squares away and under fire.

I'd actually like to see all items being throwable, for situations like that and also to throw anything at an alien as a last desperate act  ;) I remember doing that a lot in xcom...

Offline homunculus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 09:58:16 pm »
@kurja:
yeah, and you could also hit an alien with anything in melee, and the heavier the item the more the damage (so it wouldn't make sense to beat the alien with ir-goggles) and some items would have special melee damage.

i mean, like with a grenade launcher.
if the damage is enough then the grenadier wouldn't need a secondary weapon (especially considering that monomolecular knife (as a secondary weapon) is so difficult to put in belt or holster (you need to drag it extremely accurately, unlike other items)).

btw did you manage to kill any alien in x-com by throwing your out of ammo heavy plasma at it?

@DarkRain:
and stun rods.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 10:01:18 pm by homunculus »

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 10:09:08 pm »
Heavy plasmas or blaster launchers didn't fly too far when throw, I recall :p But, I think that once, just once, I got a sectoid with an empty rifle - now that I think of it maybe I hit it with my rifle, wasn't that too possible in xcom?

Offline homunculus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 10:25:23 pm »
no, as far as i remember, you couldn't hit with anything in x-com, so it must have been throwing.

unless you saw it in your dreams, because i don't remember a thrown grenade doing any damage before explosion, nor a soldier getting damage from anything thrown.

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 10:38:37 pm »
That reminds me of the reason the medikit is no longer throwable, now that it has ammo, it would be *thrown* to the patient when you tried to heal someone (and it *did* heal the target)