project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Reduce TU cost for picking up things from the ground when crouching.  (Read 2868 times)

Offline Quizer

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
I think there should be a 1 TU cost reduction for picking up things from the ground when already crouching, since you are that much closer to it already. I don't think it would have much impact on the game, but it's one of those 'the devs think of everything' ideas and it just makes sense to me.

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Reduce TU cost for picking up things from the ground when crouching.
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 08:32:06 pm »
and while at it, does it really make sense that crouching takes 3tu - as long as it takes to move while crouched.

Offline Wolls

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 10:58:51 pm »
The 3tu is perhaps more reflective of the accuracy bonus you receive for rifles then just the movement time (it takes to crouch).

Offline Quizer

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 01:04:12 am »
I think crouching takes about the same time as shuffling forward the distance that would be one square (though having crouching / standing cost 2 TU each could also be justified).

Are there any plans to include prone position? Would be useful in long distance firefights - crouching doesn't really reduce the target area by that much as far as I can tell. It would be a huge liability if you're shot at from an elevated position, though.

Offline krilain

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 04:27:32 pm »
Are there any plans to include prone position? Would be useful in long distance firefights - crouching doesn't really reduce the target area by that much as far as I can tell. It would be a huge liability if you're shot at from an elevated position, though.
I dont answer for the official team, but I think there wont be any prone addition for 2 reasons due to consideration of 3D game design. I can mistake but if I dont i would say that first, the maps wont grow more because this would cost gpu/cpu ressources beyond the optimized point for the quake2 engine and the way it is used in UFOAI. Secondly, this would ask for some new animations frames and a rebuild of the associated definitions that comes with the md2 model. Maybe it would ask also the rebuild of a part of the weapons behaviours. In one word, a lot of work, that moreover cant be made part by part, but fully at one single time.

But if the maps stay little enougth, no need for the prone feature.

Whatever your rule of setting for the picking action depending on the initial state of the soldier makes fully sense for me. I agree with that proposal.

Offline Anarch Cassius

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 09:18:52 pm »
Actually the engine would be fine from what I can see. It's those animations that are the pain. And adding the new state, and the button to switch to it on the GUI. I think it's a totally do-able and worthwhile task, but it's not a small one.

I'd also want to hold until the 2x2 unit are added and how that intereacts with such systems. At some point though I think it should go in. Also things like Bloodspiders having prone hitbox but normal moverates.