project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: [Not a bug] [2.5_dev_12/12/23] Laser weapons research failed to unlock  (Read 4457 times)

Offline Quizer

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
When playing the old 2.4 release, researching "Continuous Wave Laser Operation" unlocks the laser man-portable weapons, the laser base defense weapon and the laser craft weapon - 6 things total, I believe.

In my new game in 2.5_dev, however, only the craft weapon and base defense weapon research projects were unlocked. I never got the man-portable weapons. There were no research items for them, and they don't show up in my production menu, either. Considering how far into the game I am, I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to have them by now.

Could someone also list the requirements for the laser weapons for me? I guess I could be missing something obscure, like needing the Bloodspider autopsy to research monomolecular knives, but I don't really think so.

[Savefile attached.]
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 12:29:16 am by Quizer »

Offline Kemlo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: [2.5_dev_12/12/23] Laser weapons research failed to unlock
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 11:54:13 pm »
It all changed in 2.5:

Offline Quizer

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: [2.5_dev_12/12/23] Laser weapons research failed to unlock
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 12:13:17 am »
Wait, so I won't get any laser weapons until armored aliens show up? I think that's pretty dumb. I'm 3-4 months in - I really think I should be able to have laser weaponry by then if I want it.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 12:30:48 am by Quizer »

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [Not a bug] [2.5_dev_12/12/23] Laser weapons research failed to unlock
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 09:42:00 am »
sorry, I don't understand that chart. after base defence lasers, I need what to research laser guns? in my game armoured tamans are already there, but laser guns are not.

Offline Quizer

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 02:31:14 pm »
It seems you need to research 'Alien Light Armor' after looting one of the alien armors.

Anyway, I don't agree with the design choice of making laser weapons dependable on armor drops in that way. Unless they've been changed significantly since 2.4 (read: made more effective), they are not powerful enough to warrant being mid-game items instead of early-game.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 03:52:56 pm »
Perhaps you should play a little bit more before complaining. They are indeed more powerful and will prove very useful when you do field them.

Offline Quizer

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 07:06:40 pm »
I guess I should. :)

Thanks for answering my questions!