project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: New encumbrance/TU system  (Read 11726 times)

Offline Anarch Cassius

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: New encumbrance/TU system
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2013, 01:17:30 pm »
I think the UI could use some work but with the most recent tweaks this system has come a long way. Speed is valuable again and Strength is now very useful. I complained a bit early on but I want to say I feel like most of the nessecary changes have been made.

For Medkits I'd rather see some kind of Perks/Feats system that provide such a bonus for medics. They also are pretty nice right now after some ups and downs. If you remember a combat round is only a few seconds the speed of healing is remarkably fast. Actually I'd like to see a fuller kit that requires two hands, weighs more, takes a bit more TU and heals a bit more as an option.

Offline vuser

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2013, 11:37:12 pm »
The big problem seems to be that the encumbrance system completely disables some actions, it should make those actions much slower (so performed much rarely) rather than not allow them.

(The time units are just representing how much time passes until an action can be performed, and in reality everything happens simultaneously. Encumbrance, especially if still within the limit of what you can carry, should only make you slower or less efficient, and not prohibiting to ever fire your weapon)

I gathered a number of solutions for this problem I've seen in other turn based squad combat games:

1. Allow time units to go into the negative (and start the next turn with that much less TUs) if and only if the action is the first action in the current turn.

2. If you finished your turn with some TUs left (after subtracting reaction fire, of course), allow a tiny amount of it to carry over to the next turn. So you can perform your "expensive" action every other turn.

3. Having more random variety in stats. Why should an average soldier become stronger than any new recruit you hire after a few missions? With more varied stats, you could hire a weightlifter to carry your heavy equipment around, of course, his other stats might be terrible.

4. Firing is divided into mini-actions, so it does not always take the same amount of TUs. Movement always consumes the same amount of TUs, just as aiming, etc., so units with higher TUs are faster. However, squeezing the trigger should take the same time. (time does not equal time units, as faster soldiers can consume more time units in the same time it takes a turn) So squeezing the trigger is not a fixed cost, but a percentage of the total TUs the unit has. If I remember correctly, the original X-COM used this system, and Jagged Alleince also used a somewhat complicated variation of it. It might be far from the current concept, I only included it for the sake of completeness.

Offline Triaxx2

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2013, 02:59:51 am »
Variables are why many games use a total points system instead of individual ranges. So instead of strength being 30-40 you get a single total spread across all the attributes. So you might have a hugely strong warrior, but he's completely hopeless at anything else.

Offline Quizer

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2013, 06:40:30 pm »
That wouldn't really work for this game, though, since the stat points are not equivalent to one another. They rise at different speeds, and the way encumbrance is designed requires starting strength values to be much higher than the averages for other stats. I guess you could go with a weighted total points system, or make it so a soldier with 0 strength can carry a base weight of 20kg or something to dial down the strength starting value, but it's probably easier to stick to the system that is in place.