project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Idea for UFO-interception  (Read 6218 times)

Sheel

Idea for UFO-interception
« on: April 06, 2006, 01:17:36 pm »
Hello, everyone

I have an interesting idea how to add ufo interception.
It will need sveral planes, pilots(with skills), weapons and equipment for the planes and maybe a simulator-building for your base.

1) Ufo is detected. Depending on the radar you have, you get information about type and weapon....or you get nothing at all.
2) You chose the planes, the weapons (Counter Measures, Detectors, Tactics analysator *...) and the pilots to go hunting.
Example: 1 AWACS with enhanced radar and Tactics Analysator, Peter is flying
2 Fighters. One with 30 dumb fire missiles, one with 2 radar guided ones

3) They start and close in. The Awacs gets more information. A screen pops up, where you can chose tacttics.

Example: Awacs: Stay away, record with Tactics Analysator
Fighter with dumb fire missiles: Close in, fire when chance is 80% and over
Fighter with guided missiles: Keep distance, fire when chance is 99%
(other options would be: distract, defend, bomb crashed ufo...)

4) The fight is calculated. The player can't interact. The fight is shown as a film created out of clips (Ufo Aftermath style) or you just hear sounds/see text pass by:
"Fighter 1, I am hit <crackle>"
"Fighter 2, Got one, it goes down"
"Fighter 1, going down<crackle><silent"

*Tactics Analysator: Analyses Ufo types, their weapons and tactics. If you recorded something, you can train your pilots in the simulator for tactics and ufo types. Increasing chance to have returning pilots.

Pilots: They have skills for different planes, weapons, ufo types and alien tactics (A alien destroyer behaves different than an alien bomber...)

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 12:08:46 pm »
Too complicated, probably. Shooting down UFO's is supposed to be a minigame AT BEST, not a whole combat simulator. After all, the focus of this type of game lies with the tactical ground missions.

Sheel

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 01:40:51 pm »
If it is to omplicated, you could skip step three and strip down number 4 to the result (2 fighters lost).
Either remove it from the gam, or make it adjustable or offer a "command and control center" for the base to control the attack.

But research, planning, equipping of the fighters and training of the pilots fits very well into UFO tactics and strategics.

At least better than some vertical scroll shooter...

BTW Sorry to have started a new thread.

Offline XCOMTurcocalypse

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 07:51:30 pm »
I would say: Ufo Aftermath style...one check of overall Human stats vs Ufo stats,and then let it roll in a movie.A small 3D Clip could be OK.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 11:35:59 pm »
Feel free to make some. Though personally I hated the interceptions in Aftermath. Shrug.

Offline XCOMTurcocalypse

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 10:27:45 pm »
Any ideas how to start making a 3D animation?I mean,I have no experience,but what the hell,I might do it.Sounds?No problem,thats easy.

Offline Bandobras

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2006, 10:48:31 pm »
Quote from: "BTAxis"
Too complicated, probably.

In what way? The logic seems simple enough, though interesting. The interface can be even all text, that is you may press some buttons to issue orders for the fight and then, like 10 or 20 lines of messages scrolls about the results. Possibly a button on the side to hold the scrolling and redo the battle orders for the rest of the fight...

At least this is a tactical mini-game and not a trivial arcade one. Though, myself, I can live with no interceptions at all. Just fight landed ufo's and that's enough...