project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Destruction  (Read 8466 times)

Offline Anarch Cassius

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Destruction
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2012, 01:14:31 am »
Erm, I can try. Coding is my job and I'm a bit behind in the bills right now. I want to wait a bit before diving in to modifying the core. I am starting to look around in the code though.

What is the exact shadows/door bug? Doors won't cast shadows for the same reason other destructables and dynamic objects won't, shadows have to be baked. If it's something else please explain. I did explicitly say a full dynamic lighting engine wasn't going to come from me :) On the other hand if there is any work in this area I may contribute if others are active.

Also I like the idea of destructables highlighting for clarity. Doors do this.

I was thinking it shouldn't be too hard to be a fire-once for message entities. This would be a better first task for me on the project than lighting revamps :)

Offline iamaloner

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 05:41:44 pm »
The pathfinding problem is not because of the maps but because of the AI.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2013, 12:39:41 am »
The pathfinding problem is not because of the maps but because of the AI.

Not true. This topic is the source of enough confusion already. Please don't add to it.

Offline Anarch Cassius

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2013, 01:29:29 am »
Okay, so I heard hints that some work had been done on dynamic lighting? Did that go anywhere? Is that ever gonna go anywhere?

As for the rest of it. I'm working on a fairly destructible map, if that doesn't give older machines problems I'm going to try a revamp of Africa with destructible huts since by both reason and poly count those walls are first in line. If that can be pulled off I may try to revamp other areas.

I've looked into new 3d X-com and it seems that at least technically UFO:AI can meet or exceed their destructability; they use the blast down to supports method I thought of above. The question is can it be done efficiently.

I'm seeing good use of destructable pathfinding and no noticable slow downs. Nothing worse then the RF calc slow-down normally is anyway. I'm seeing questionable use of doors but they seem to understand the concept on some level. I might actually be able to help with the AI on that bit. I've done some pathfinding and AI work before.