project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: UNO mark on armours and uniforms  (Read 19323 times)

Offline krilain

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
UNO mark on armours and uniforms
« on: December 10, 2012, 03:09:10 pm »
Hi there,

I'm not sure that UNO's logo is copy free but anyway an adapted logo would be great to be put onto our soldiers uniforms. At least on the standard equipment. Ok, that asks for texture repainting but if a logo is choosen, it should be an easy job.

The UNO logo is something like that :
http://www.pelagon.de/wp-includes/images/mediadaten//logo-uno.jpg

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: UNO mark on armours and uniforms
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 03:33:43 pm »
Phalanx has a logo and it appears on the combat and power armours.

Offline krilain

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 03:59:30 pm »
I've not opened every texture files so I missed it.
Thanks to your remark I'm reading now this topic : http://ufoai.org/forum/index.php?topic=6795.0.

Whatever, the Phallanx logo remains for me an advanced one. About a more standard logo for standard stuff, my question still applies. Of course nothing crucial here, again.

Offline Unisol

• Rookie
  • There's only one way to deal with delicious pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 10:59:35 pm »
Interesting enough, I've been thinking something like this just today. However, I've been going towards something even more simple and crude, something anybody can draw in several seconds, with anything that comes in handy at the moment, on any surface available at the moment. Like with a spray on the wall, or with bullet holes on target, or using a stencil on a crate.

Here's what I came up with. Basically, all I have done is replaced spears with (sharpened) sticks and replaced globe with astrological symbol for Earth.

Top to bottom: basic logo, logo with spears sharpened, stencil version of logo.

Yes, I know it looks like a crosshair.

Offline krilain

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 02:10:38 pm »
(...)
 Like with a spray on the wall, or with bullet holes on target, or using a stencil on a crate.
(...)
Do you mean you except your mark to be used as a "resistance" mark sprayed on the walls over the cities ?

Whatever you should take a look on the existing phallanx logo, with the crossed picks. Should you improve it by additional researshes. (personnally I vote for your second one, more adapted with picks)

From my side it was more about the UNO logo to put on the standard uniforms, and eventually on the ships hulk, like on the Firebird model.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 02:48:33 pm by krilain »

Offline Unisol

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 04:13:15 pm »
Do you mean you except your mark to be used as a "resistance" mark sprayed on the walls over the cities ?
That was my original thought, yes. But I don't mind it being used wherever it might suit.

Whatever you should take a look on the existing phallanx logo, with the crossed picks. Should you improve it by additional researshes. (personnally I vote for your second one, more adapted with picks)
I did take a look. As I have said in my previous post, this is basically extremely simplified version of phalanx logo.

From my side it was more about the UNO logo to put on the standard uniforms, and eventually on the ships hulk, like on the Firebird model.
I have nothing to say against this kind of usage, really. If it fits, why not?

Offline kOba

• Project Artist
  • Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 11:43:17 am »
This is a celtic fascist in Italy

Offline krilain

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 02:18:38 pm »
Really? It could be misunderstood, should be avoided so.

Offline Flying Steel

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 12:59:10 am »

:o

Or maybe it is a martian communist in Poland? :P

Offline Anarch Cassius

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 02:26:37 am »
Well it's a Celtic symbol... but Celtic... fascists... in Italy? I didn't realize such a thing existed. I mean Celtic traditions aren't particularly compatible with fascism and Italy was never really Celtic territory. They must have some seriously bizarre ideology.

Offline Unisol

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2012, 02:38:56 pm »
So, i've done some googling, and here's what I found.

Apparently, what Koba refers to is Celtic Cross, which is indeed used as a neo-nazi symbol in Italy and a bit in Germany. You may note that Celtic Cross has fins on top, left, bottom and right, while logo I proposed has them on top left, bottom left, top right and bottom right. So they are similar, yes, but in my opinion not similar enough to confuse with each other.

Offline kOba

• Project Artist
  • Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2012, 07:32:51 pm »
Unfortunately, so is the symbol as the name is Celtic, Ireland is the national symbol, but in Italy is related to the areas of the extreme right and the right-wing subversive ...
Keep in mind though that if you do use it, however, a reference to nationalism, while in the game we are talking about a global resistance among the various nations then type internationalist. Your symbol is inappropriate!

Offline Unisol

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2012, 11:17:47 pm »
Well, luckily for us, there are a lot of ancient pictograms for "earth". I wandered around wikipedia a bit and found out that medieval alchemists used some sybmol for earth as well. This one was originally devised by ancient greeks and represents earth not as celestial body, but as basic element. Ah well. Anyways, I have removed the cross and put the triangle in the circle. Also repositioned spears a bit.

Offline Anarch Cassius

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2012, 11:27:50 pm »
The fact that has a passing resemblance to an upside anarchy sign now has me imagining an army with that symbol locked in battle with an army using the 1st one :)

Also what's with fascists and ruining perfectly good symbols? If it weren't for the Nazi's we'd have a perfect cross-cultural, easy-to-stencil, Sol symbol.

As for Phalanx, I like the first with the spear style of the 2nd. Plenty of ordinary people use Celtic crosses and the one without extended arms is not as associated with fascists as it is the planet.

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2012, 09:50:40 am »
frankly, *any* symbol can pretty much be guaranteed to have seen some objectionable use that one wouldn't think possible, like symbols of ancient nordic mythology are in some countries seen as "white power" symbols, or that celtic cross as a fascist symbol in italy. not that use of suspicious symbology shouldn't be avoided but if we're going to have any symbols at all a line has to be drawn somewhere

http://gbgm-umc.org/umw/anti-hate/symbolsofhate.html
http://www.adl.org/hate_symbols/ThorsHammer.asp