project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: What is the general "2084 life on earth" model lying under UFOAI?  (Read 6688 times)

Offline krilain

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Hi, this is a redo from start of my first subject. It is not a crucial topic, anyway I hope you'll find this cleaned version more useful than the last expeditious one.

The game as far as it takes place in the future, is also a representation of our earth in the future, and will be read as it by many of us (the scifi passionated people mostly).

In my opinion, thru the maps, the geosphere, and some choosen elements of the story telling, we can only implement a 2084- model that postulates that in the future (lets say since 2050), the earthling choosed the way of the moderation in everything. Let's follow my explanation below in (A).

(A)  Let us imagine that we choosed another postulate, which differes from the "moderation" postulate. Now let's apply this to the global amount of the earth population. This hypothesis can be realized into a very concrete implementation thru the game system (geosphere, maps.etc..).  That done, the player will certainly encounter a game-world organized around very big cities. Those cities will contain a very big amount of civilians by square unit. We would also meet poor people (flooding poor quarters of sad appearance) whereas at the same moment, rich boys and girls would be walking around the nice quarters and over heavily guarded private zones. But, that obviously doesn't fit the way the game is actually going. This "unmoderate" description is more the classic extrapolation of our world that is so often implemented into many other futuristic games (let's say Fallout for instance).

So, in the way the game is designed today, the earthling occupate the earth peacefully (until the alien event came on...). Let's read the 2 arguments listed below.
  • 1- Each nation seems to have its own dedicated  space, with no more conflict at the borders.
  • 2- The UNO rules as the main global force, and apparently the single still maintened correctly in order to face a global threat. Anyway, this last point should be slightly changed in the future : some national policemen or soldiers should give of themselves living signs at some occasions...

So, and to conclude partly, the UFOAI world assumes the way of the moderation. But that doesn't mean that this would be credible to pretend that the earth from today to 2084 had never encountered some concrete evolutions, in the interlude. The earthling have just found the way of the moderation, at last. But the story taking place between today and 2084 is certainly worth to be told.

I made a draft list-like description of possibilities for a 2084 humanity history that I put at the end of this introduction. In fact it is a summary of what was described in a book named "2100, récit du prochain siècle - Payot 1993" or in english "2100, history of the next century".

About this book the great thing for my purpose is that it postulates that between 2020 and 2060 the world is overruled by private organistations based on capital. As consequence comes a lot of limitation of freedom and peace is rare. I wont go into an extensive picture, it is sufficient to say that if you launch a nuclear attack in this world you will obtain a "mad max"-like universe.

But there were no bomb, so came the after-2060's where the people decided to get their peace and freedom back.

So, the 2020-2060 world postulated and predicted here, is exactly the world that we encounter in postnuclear stories. The fact is that in our case the bomb was not released and the survivors had not to inherit of the well known futuristic violent and autoritary scheme. Assuming that until 2084 the nuclear disaster was avoided, there were all the reasons for human people to choose not only a freedom and peace order, but also a low populated model for cities and some illuminated return to nature... A choice that apparently intrigated enough the aliens to make them have a close look at earth! 

You can go to http://www.worldwatch.org/ to get other examples of possible earth for our next century.

Visions of 2084 - Draft
Population :
               1- explosion
               2- stabilized low/hi
               3- decreasing (controled)

Governements models :
               1-nations like
               2-capitalistic-based - Consortiums

Artificial living forms (...)
New architecture like ocean cities

Language : optimized pictograms  rather than national idioms          

Art of making gardens, thru the grounds and oceans.
Ocean Cities
Grounds over the sea( ...)

Recycling pushed very far.
Light material generalized (useful consideration for setting a weight system)

Implantation of artificial organs. (can explain a resolute turn into the evolution of the amount of population at the favour of a decrease).

And so on ;)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 08:42:02 pm by krilain »

Offline maackey

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: What is the general "2084 life on earth" model under UFOAI?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 07:50:00 pm »
There are still tribes in Africa who have never seen electricity, which was discovered a hundred years ago. It is quite plausible that remote locations will still be relatively primitive. How phalanx gets alerted to these situations however...

The citizen clothing, wind generators, solar panels, etc. need to be modeled, textured, and integrated with the game engine. Since this is an open source project, there are lots of people with their own vision of how 2084 should look, and so a consistent style is difficult to achieve. Are you willing to do the work to integrate the models and textures for all the objects you want into the maps?

Nature is pretty resilient, it would take a massive concentrated effort orchestrated with the utmost efficiency and priority to change the geography of the planet. But before all that there is the question of economic viability. What would be the benefit of terraforming the landscape?

Even if general society strongly favors privacy, there will still be security cameras. You can't violate your own privacy by video recording your own home, and it grants you vision of the aliens walking around above your base (or it better, eventually) so you can get into an advantageous tactical position... or just have the cameras automate the target acquisition of your base defense turrets. :)

Offline Anarch Cassius

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 09:04:55 pm »
In general the generators are all over the countryside.

The Dam and the new Solar Plant are both power generators and quite common.

If you read the notes in the UFOpedia there is some backstory on the political stuff that explains things like how Asia become one country. Other Nations simply corrispond to modern day alliances or ones with slight twists. For example Oceania is basically the British Commonwealth without Canada and the British Isles (since they've fully joined UA and the EU) and having incorporated what parts of Oceania that the Asian Republic didn't.

Offline krilain

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 03:34:15 pm »
(...)
 Are you willing to do the work to integrate the models and textures for all the objects you want into the maps?
To answer let's suppose tomorrow you wish to make a map. Wouldn't you wonder if such a model or another is matching or not the 2084 society which is the game's one. Even if you wouldn't modelize everything, at least you may want to avoid models that would be finally unrelated.
(...)
Even if general society strongly favors privacy, there will still be security cameras. You can't violate your own privacy by video recording your own home, and it grants you vision of the aliens walking around above your base (or it better, eventually) so you can get into an advantageous tactical position... or just have the cameras automate the target acquisition of your base defense turrets. :)
I was thinking about Demolition Man movie. It was on TV this week. In this story the society evolved so that violence turned totally eradicated. So my remark. Whatever, your remark is plenty making sense, I agree with you. And in human bases that could be really useful. For me in human base there should be also an alarm sound to increase pressure, but I've already said that elsewhere.
In general the generators are all over the countryside.

The Dam and the new Solar Plant are both power generators and quite common.
I'm asking for that because in my opinion the choice you make for generators is showing what technology rules your world. I finally found some generators models in the UFOAI files, they seem to be our classical ones.
Quote from: Anarch Cassius

If you read the notes in the UFOpedia there is some backstory on the political stuff that explains things like how Asia become one country. Other Nations simply corrispond to modern day alliances or ones with slight twists. For example Oceania is basically the British Commonwealth without Canada and the British Isles (since they've fully joined UA and the EU) and having incorporated what parts of Oceania that the Asian Republic didn't.
Thanks for telling me that story. I suffered for the famous text missing because I use the 2.4 on a french language computer :) I didn't take the time to try to fix it. I should think about it in the future.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 03:43:15 pm by krilain »

Offline Wolls

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 10:15:14 pm »
I suffered for the famous text missing because I use the 2.4 on a french language computer :) I didn't take the time to try to fix it. I should think about it in the future.

Have you checked the Wiki? It has the english source and a bunch of language options.  http://ufoai.org/wiki/List_of_msgid

Offline krilain

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 02:49:24 pm »
  Have you checked the Wiki? It has the english source and a bunch of language options.  http://ufoai.org/wiki/List_of_msgid
I've found the french *mo.text. I really thank you but in some future there should be a more direct fix for accessing the text. Or eventually why not to turn it on english for everyone with some subtitle feature?

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 03:55:05 pm »
The wiki is no longer used for translation and texts may be out of date. To find current texts in the game, you should look in /base/ufos/msgids/.

Offline krilain

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 09:12:39 pm »
The wiki is no longer used for translation and texts may be out of date. To find current texts in the game, you should look in /base/ufos/msgids/.
I did. I found also a french translation. But to say truth it is still not perfectly polished.

Ok, I wanted to say that I refunded the initial post. I tried to make it more complete for anyone interested in this general aspect of the storyline.