project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Strange Saracen behavior  (Read 1995 times)

Offline Tin Tim

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Strange Saracen behavior
« on: December 01, 2012, 04:51:05 pm »
Hey folks!

I recently started playing the 2.4 version and noticed that the Saracen interceptors are quite strange, maybe even worthless. They move in on Ufo's, stay ahead of them and fire missles and then just stay ahead and get killed. I have to manually tell them to close in and use the cannon which runs out of ammo in a split second. I equipped one with two cannons and it didn't even wanted to get into range, just flying ahead of the Ufo while getting shot to pieces. Two of them failed at shooting down a fighter, while my pair of Stilletos allready did it a hundred times. I had the best results with Stilletos as they close in on Ufos and don't just sit there taking all the damage.

I'm sure this isn't intended?

Offline Anarch Cassius

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Strange Saracen behavior
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 10:11:30 pm »
I can confirm this happens a lot of the time. I have seen Saracens bring down a ship and they are great scouts but they have an extreme tendency to be more worried about where their target WILL be than where it is.

Also sometimes an interceptor draws a staight line to a UFO and updates it frequently and sometimes it draws an intercept course trying to meet it at a point. I can't see why one behavoir or the other wouldn't work 100% of the time or what makes it do one or the other. Is is based on how far away it is or some other heuristic of how likely it is to change course before interception?