project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: graphic display problem on base & armor question  (Read 2937 times)

Offline jcjordan

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
graphic display problem on base & armor question
« on: November 30, 2012, 04:30:43 am »
I've got a minor display problem on the base screen that varies somewhat from base to base on what it shows. This savegame was started under 2.5 dev 10/5 & run under that version as well as 11/5 & now loaded under 11/29 version if that plays a part. The problem is shown in the pics attached. You will see that some of the text will be cutoff under the # of type of aliens you have at each base. Also it seem to differ some from base to base where it cuts it off but assume it's some kind of max text/line length thing somewhere.

Also I was just now getting power armor in use in my current game & the aliens now seem almost exclusively armed w/ particle guns but shouldn't the power armor offer some protection from this weapon type based on what the description says about it? The UFOpedia says - "when the outer layer of the composite is burned... Isn't that what the particle weapon really is doing to a certain extent a burning wound? As it stand right now, it's basically 1 shot 1 kill for the aliens but not when I use it.

Offline Wolls

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: graphic display problem on base & armor question
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 07:57:22 pm »
Also I was just now getting power armor in use in my current game & the aliens now seem almost exclusively armed w/ particle guns but shouldn't the power armor offer some protection from this weapon type based on what the description says about it?

I don't have a game this advanced, but from the ufos:

PARTICLE BEAM PISTOL
  damage 1 Shot "70 10"
    dmgweight "particlebeam_light"
PARTICLE BEAM RIFLE
  Snap Shot/Aimed = damage 1 Shot "110 10"  dmgweight "particlebeam_medium"
  "_3-Round Burst" = 3 Shots @ "110 10"
PARTICLE BEAM CANNON
  Snap/Aimed = Damage "150 30" dmgweight "particlebeam_heavy"
  "_4-Round Burst" = 4 Shots @  "150 30"
  "_Unrestricted Blast" = 1 Shot spldmg "250 50" with splrad 3 : dmgweight "particlebeam_heavy"

vs
Power Armour (Protection)
  Particle Beam Light = 30
  Particle Beam Medium = 40
  Particle Beam Heavy = 50

So yes, you are getting protection. (combat armour has zero for all 3 damage weights)

EDIT: Oh, I think it goes something like (Weapon Damage - (Armour Protection + Resistance)) *Shots    Note that Aliens have Resistances to weapon damage types.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 08:06:02 pm by Wolls »

Offline jcjordan

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 12:13:27 am »
I double check what I've got now since I've just upgraded to 11/29 dated version on my power armor but if I read right when I was looking at the power armor under the previous version I was running (11/5 date) it was showing something different than that.

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 09:45:06 am »
Commit regarding particle beam weapons/resistances.

Offline Wolls

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 06:27:41 pm »
  Okay so there's the Armour Protection and there is Armour Rating, which are (I think) the numbers you would see if you were looking at Armour from in game (which are the ones you were seeing?).  The Armour Ratings don't include any damage weights (light medium etc..) just the damage type (normal laser plasma etc..).  And you are right, for particle beam its zero across the board.

To be honest, I don't know why the difference, or what effect it plays out in game.  I noticed it, but not understanding, I conveniently ignored it.  (IE I tried to figure out how my game experience matched with all of the Armour values, but couldn't figure out how the Armour ratings would be included, if I treated it in the same manner as Armour protection and alien resistance, I shouldn't be killing aliens at all.)   :'(

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 11:38:05 am »
Armour rating is an arbitrary set of numbers that are supposed to give you a rough idea of each armour's strength against a set of damagetypes. To figure out the actual potential damage of a weapon, you should judge its damage against the alien's resistance value for the damagetype. If the alien is also wearing armour (taman or ortnok), you should add the armour's protection value for the damagetype.

Offline jcjordan

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 02:26:56 am »
Thansk for the update on armor - my armor problem was as the link Shipit posted as it was showing negative #s from a previous version but the current version shows correctly.