project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Again on reaction fire  (Read 37397 times)

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Again on reaction fire
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2013, 12:27:48 pm »
This is how reaction fire works already. The only difference is that when a unit can no longer see a target the counter is reset.

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2013, 10:45:26 pm »
I just had a soldier on reaction fire, an alien turned up and fired, and after it had done so, a soldier took reaction fire. Alien took no action (spent no TU's) after rf had taken place. This goes against my understanding of rf, I though rf was supposed to happen first? Is there an exception to order of actions if TU cost=TU threshold for RF or something like that?

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2013, 06:55:15 am »
I just had a soldier on reaction fire, an alien turned up and fired, and after it had done so, a soldier took reaction fire. Alien took no action (spent no TU's) after rf had taken place. This goes against my understanding of rf, I though rf was supposed to happen first? Is there an exception to order of actions if TU cost=TU threshold for RF or something like that?

Noticed the same. Aliens steps out, walks two grids, fires PB-Rifle, soldiers fires back with Plasma Blaster. Alien dies, Soldier dies from wounds.

Offline Xeinar

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2013, 11:27:40 am »
This is how reaction fire works already. The only difference is that when a unit can no longer see a target the counter is reset.

Yes, this is exactly what I meant: if the reset is disabled, RF would be more coherent with reality, with the expected behaviour of RF from the users.

Offline Visitor

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2013, 05:27:02 pm »
Noticed the same. Aliens steps out, walks two grids, fires PB-Rifle, soldiers fires back with Plasma Blaster. Alien dies, Soldier dies from wounds.
Maybe it's actually the act of alien shooting first that counted for TU spent that triggered RF? But I can understand how in such situation RF may seem a tad silly and achieving little (though it's always one less alien to be shot by someone else).

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2013, 07:55:02 pm »
Maybe it's actually the act of alien shooting first that counted for TU spent that triggered RF?

Afaik rf should take place before the action that triggers it?

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2013, 09:26:21 pm »
Afaik rf should take place before the action that triggers it?

Please update. :)

Offline Battlescared

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2013, 05:28:09 pm »
About reaction fire, just remember, they can't fire at what they can't see, and your actions only count on their reaction calcs for units they can see.  Just assume they will get the first shot no matter what you do, and plan accordingly.  Also, watch how they attack you for clues on how to beat it.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 05:30:32 pm by Battlescared »

BobSherman

« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2013, 07:50:23 am »
I would say the Weights system has really boosted the utility of the Strength stat, pretty much nixing and surpassing what small effect the Speed stat had, at least as far as your speed effects TU.  Changing your weight encumbrance(the 3 weight classes) has a much more drastic effect....
So with Speed, Up to 91 points per mission :             Speed Skill and TU by encumbrance modifier:

1000exp = Up 3.98   @91-->11 Missions       //Skill 15-->42 @ 1   -->29.4 @0.7   -->16.8 @0.4
2000exp = Up 6.03   @91-->22 Missions       //Skill 20-->43          -->30.1            -->17.2
4645exp = Up 10      @91-->52 Missions       //Skill 25-->44          -->30.8            -->17.6
   Half @45.5-->103 Missions                       //Skill 30-->45           -->31.5            -->18
                                                                  //Skill 35-->46           -->32.2            -->18.4   
 Note: I looked in my stats.txt, with the last 52 instances(little over 6 missions) I saw an average of @41.4exp-->113 Missions

So your Speed will at most go up 10 levels, which means your actual TU will only go up by 2 while
led lighting, 1.4 while encumbered and 0.8 under penalty from your starting Speed Stat. Joi?? 
I'd like to see Speed to have a greater effect on gameplay then that.  Also my own 2 cents, in most games crouching is considered stealthy, walking somewhat, and shooting announces here I am.. here its like there's a 4 piece band following me around :o
That said, as is, I kinda like the simplicity of reaction fire.

it is awesome game for sure.. Love to play it when I do get some time but the post helps me in understanding it bit more... So thanks
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 06:19:34 pm by BobSherman »

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2013, 11:18:03 am »
Note that if you are playing 2.5-dev, the recent stat changes should make speed stat increases more effective. You still won't acquire enormous TU gains, but should see more than a 2 TU jump for veteran soldiers. I'd estimate 5-10 TU increases, but this one was harder to pin down than other stats.