project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Changes for 2.5  (Read 43888 times)

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Re: Changes for 2.5
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 08:21:33 am »
as always - please also move this information into the changelog in our wiki. It would be a pity if we would have to do this again once we release 2.5 ;)

Offline vuser

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2013, 02:37:33 pm »
Did I miss something, or was the *spoiler* research removed from the 2.5 version?

*spoiler*... I remember seeing it a long time ago in one of the older dev versions of 2.4 or 2.3.

edit - I removed mention of a lot of spoilers, which we are trying to keep out of this thread.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 02:53:17 pm by H-Hour »

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2013, 02:52:17 pm »
The tech tree has been adjusted. Where you reached is the end of one line of story-based research, but other items have been moved to other places in the tech tree.

Offline vuser

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2013, 03:13:50 pm »
Thank you, and sorry for mentioning the spoiler (I thought it was common knowledge as there is a map for it even without the research) I thought it was just a bug

Another thing came to my attention. It happens very rarely, but the AI might hang when it does not have much to do (one or a few aliens left, they are inside a building, and maybe unable to shoot / either out of ammo, or wounded, panicked, and dropped their weapon) Shouldn't the AI have some kind of a watchdog timer, so when it thinks for more than a predefined amount of time, the process should just stop and the alien would then do nothing? Still better than hanging/crashing the game.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2013, 03:25:33 pm »
I thought we fixed the issue with the map appearing, but I'll look into it. Might be worth posting a feature request about your alien AI thing. I haven't noticed this in any of my games, but perhaps older systems get crunched at some point.

Offline cpsogoj

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2013, 12:32:14 pm »
I suppose that the last 2.5 version is on Nightly Builds...correct? Or do you think that it worths waiting 1-2 months until de final version?

As a quick suggestion (sorry fot the offtopic), it is said on the original post that one should give attention to the uses given to each weapon, but sometimes the description/info box is not clear enough. Speccially in the differences between "weaker" weapons, like submachines guns, shotguns and also the different types of ammo used. So I suggest to give a more practical description on some of the weapons.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2013, 11:49:20 am »
I suppose that the last 2.5 version is on Nightly Builds...correct? Or do you think that it worths waiting 1-2 months until de final version?

Yes, the nightly builds provide 2.5-dev versions. It probably won't get a lot more stable before release (and 1-2 months sounds optimistic for a timeline), but depending on time, etc, we may get a few useful balancing changes in before release.

Offline cpsogoj

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2013, 06:11:42 pm »
Thanks ;)

Offline Conan

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2013, 02:52:59 pm »
I would like a better armour than Nanocomposite, as my men die on every mission in "very easy", even veterans. Would just like to enjoy killing aliens with veterans but it is too hard in 2.5dev-23May. Othervise great game to play, but harder than previous versions.

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2013, 07:32:45 am »
Could not find a single pic of Power Armour in our wiki.

How about this one?

Offline pe9298

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2013, 10:47:08 pm »
Real noob question:

Where do I, as a Ubuntu user, find a recent (hopefully quite stable) 2.5 version?

Offline jsamans

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2013, 04:05:14 am »
Just downloaded the 2.5 dev.  I'll be playing the game as time allows, but I wanted to give some feedback on the new opening.

First, I know that someone put a lot of work into it.  I appreciate that, really I do. 

That said... it's tedious and dull.  It takes three days for current ships to move from the Moon to the Earth, but we needn't actually see aliens doing the same.  The opening video goes on for way too long, interrupts the flow of music, and undermines the sense of dread that the original model of load screen to menu provided.

Also, unless something has changed, discerning that the aliens weren't already present in the solar system was (as of 2.4) something that it took research to discover.  Showing the aliens folding into existence behind the moon in the opening video rather eliminates the suspense of this - and doing it just so we can see four alien ships very ponderously make their way to Earth and fly around it a few times doesn't strike me as a value-add.

Take a page from the making of Jaws: suspense is best created through music without showing the aliens until later.  UFOAI, unlike the original X-Com, actually makes the aliens scary.  Stick with that and drop the space opera.

Offline Jasina

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2013, 06:39:56 pm »
Just downloaded the 2.5 dev.  I'll be playing the game as time allows, but I wanted to give some feedback on the new opening.

First, I know that someone put a lot of work into it.  I appreciate that, really I do. 

That said... it's tedious and dull.  It takes three days for current ships to move from the Moon to the Earth, but we needn't actually see aliens doing the same.  The opening video goes on for way too long, interrupts the flow of music, and undermines the sense of dread that the original model of load screen to menu provided.

Also, unless something has changed, discerning that the aliens weren't already present in the solar system was (as of 2.4) something that it took research to discover.  Showing the aliens folding into existence behind the moon in the opening video rather eliminates the suspense of this - and doing it just so we can see four alien ships very ponderously make their way to Earth and fly around it a few times doesn't strike me as a value-add.

Take a page from the making of Jaws: suspense is best created through music without showing the aliens until later.  UFOAI, unlike the original X-Com, actually makes the aliens scary.  Stick with that and drop the space opera.
OK. I might be blind but... where is that intro movie?

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2013, 10:58:19 am »
OK. I might be blind but... where is that intro movie?
It's been removed, I think. At least we plan to do so.

Offline NicSO

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2013, 12:23:32 pm »
I am active player of UFO AI for years now. I still play original UFO which I first played in 1995, I also play Terror from the deep and Apocalypse. This game is only game for which I can say is UFO 4 spiritually :)

I would want to help around 2.5 version and I think Im good in balancing and advices based on my experience with xcom games.

Is it possible to become beta tester for 2.5?

Thnx!