project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Graphic anomalies on Mansion and Urban Periphery  (Read 11398 times)

Offline Quizer

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Graphic anomalies on Mansion and Urban Periphery
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2012, 12:28:12 am »
I've seen this happen, too (2.5dev 12/12/23), both the mansion map and the huge parkhouse in some other city map.

Is there a way to unpack the maps.pk3 file and replace the mansion map with my old copy from 2.4? Or is it some change in the graphics engine and disabling the map is the only solution for now?

And yeah, seeing nothing instead of that broken garbage that obscures everything is preferable, I think. Would it be possible to make something that still lets the player identify walkable floors and maybe walls, even if their graphics fail to render? I remember creeping around the garden of that mansion for a half-dozen turns or so, searching for a door to a stairwell that wasn't there until I figured out that the stairwell only starts one floor down...

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2012, 04:23:26 am »
.pk3's are renamed .zip files so any .zip capable program should be able to decompress them, don't know if they'll work well with the new version, but if you try let us know your findings.

Offline Quizer

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2012, 07:29:58 pm »
Okay, I switched out the mansion map file for the one from 2.4, and I still had the graphical glitches when I played the map again in 2.5dev. Whatever it is, it's not in the map, but in the graphical processing.

Offline Quizer

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2012, 10:15:34 pm »
City High-rise is messed up like this, too.

Offline chris.staddon

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2013, 04:12:21 pm »
Happy new year everyone! I've had the same thing - the worst was on a map I don't even recognize. It looks like a blown up building; the aliens on the 3rd floor seem to be able to fire through the floor and massacre my troops below .... but I can't fire back because there's a floor in the way. I've reinstalled twice, if it still happens I'll send you a screenshot ;)

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2013, 12:42:03 am »
Reinstalling won't help. It's a problem lurking deep in some very difficult code. We know about it but not sure when we'll find a solution for it. In the meantime, use automission for these maps or follow the steps in the first page of this thread to disable these maps for the campaign.

Offline Ufanatic

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2013, 04:32:11 pm »
To disable these maps in your campaign, first create a backup copy of /base/ufos/maps.ufo and store it somewhere you will remember. Then open the file in its original location. Locate the mapdef involved (search for text that says mansion or urban periphery). mansion_huge mapdef looks like this:

mapdef mansion_huge
 {
    map            "+mansion"
    param         "huge"
    description      "_Mansion"
    maxaliens      19
    multiplayer      true
    teams         4

Under multiplayer true, add a parameter: campaign false.

mapdef mansion_huge
 {
    param         "huge"
    maxaliens      19
    multiplayer      true
    campaign      false
    teams         4

Note that one map may have several mapdefs, so you'll need to look for more than one for each problem map. They should be listed one after the other though, to make them easy to find.

Hey H Hour.

I tried to find these files but since I used an installer, I only wound up with a 0maps.pk3 file which contains all kinds of map files ending in .ump and .bsp as well as folders containing even more .ump and .bsp files.

There is mansion and mansion1 as files and folders (but no "urban periphery" and no "high-rise").

How would I go about modding out the maps usage during the campaign in that case?

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2013, 05:18:14 pm »
Urban periphery is city3.ump and high-rise is city2.ump. You probably just have an older version of the game before I renamed them to "Urban Periphery" and "High-Rise", so they will still have their old names in the maps.ufo file.

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2013, 05:18:28 pm »
... but no "urban periphery" and no "high-rise" ...

Those maps are called 'city3' and 'city2' in the mapdefs.

damn

Offline Quizer

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2013, 01:28:04 pm »
To disable these maps in your campaign, first create a backup copy of /base/ufos/maps.ufo and store it somewhere you will remember. Then open the file in its original location. Locate the mapdef involved (search for text that says mansion or urban periphery). mansion_huge mapdef looks like this:

mapdef mansion_huge
 {
    param         "huge"
    maxaliens      19
    multiplayer      true
    teams         4

Under multiplayer true, add a parameter: campaign false.

mapdef mansion_huge
 {
    param         "huge"
    maxaliens      19
    multiplayer      true
    campaign      false
    teams         4

Note that one map may have several mapdefs, so you'll need to look for more than one for each problem map. They should be listed one after the other though, to make them easy to find.
Does the order of the parameters matter?

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2013, 01:30:39 pm »

Maybe. It does in some UFO scripts.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2013, 03:58:44 pm »

For key-value pairs: no.

As H-Hour said the order of
Code: [Select]
something {
}

sections may change the behaviour here or there, but if you find such a script, please open a feature request on the SF tracker, we would like to eliminate all these matters.

-geever

Offline Quizer

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2013, 05:04:41 pm »
So scripts with those curly brackets (I forget what they're called) are bad? Okay, I'll keep a look out for those... everything in aircraftmanagement.ufo is still done with curly brackets, for example. I'll go post that, then.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2013, 05:16:57 pm »
No, he meant if you find a place in the code where the order of the script entries matters, please report that. Curly brackets are a normal part of the UFO format.

Offline Quizer

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2013, 05:40:57 pm »
Oh, I see. Guess I won't see anything like that by just reading the script files. But if I ever do find strange behavior like that, I'll post about it.