project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Map editor...  (Read 7966 times)

Offline superxdude

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Map editor...
« on: November 21, 2012, 02:23:43 pm »
So I run it, and nothing happens...I checked task manager and it's there under uforadiant.exe

Sorry for the noob question...

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Map editor...
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 03:25:01 pm »
Please tell us a bit more. Are you compiling it yourself from source? Did you download it as part of a stable release? What version of the game are you using?

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 03:26:43 pm »
If you are using the 2.4 installer - unfortunately the mapeditor is broken in the realease. I am not sure about the one coming with the nightly build of 2.5-dev.

Best way to check out UFORadiant, for Win users, I know of is this tool.

Offline superxdude

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 03:34:05 pm »
I have started reading the mapping for dummies and I have an idea of waht I need to do. 

Initially I was jsut running it from the 2.4 install under Win 7...

Perhaps after some sleep it will be easier...almost midnight.

Offline Latino210

• Squad Leader
  • UFORadiant mapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 04:20:37 pm »
All right, welcome to the world of mapping. First, beware because many versions of the Radiant and of the ufo2maps available for download are corrupt. Try to download another version of the UFORadiant, maybe the one from the 2.5dev. I am including the ufo2map.exe, the tool you will need to test and compile the maps. Run it via DOS, the procedure is:

Code: [Select]
ufo2map -fix maps/[path of the map]/[name]                  This will fix some errors
ufo2map -check maps/[path of the map]/[name]             This will show you all errors of the map. You will use this a lot
ufo2map maps/maps/[path of the map]/[name]               This will compile the .map file into a .bsp readable by the game

To start with the mapping, follow the "house" tutorials although they refer to the older version of the Radiant they are good. Then, open a small map tile and play with it a little. Good luck boy, the first time I was almost crying and I use AUTOCAD at work...

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 05:48:31 pm »
... the first time I was almost crying ...

Only the first time?  ;D

Offline Latino210

• Squad Leader
  • UFORadiant mapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 06:26:31 pm »
Only the first time?  ;D

Touchè...

However, Superxdude, do not give up! If I can manage to download a working copy of the Radiant and to make a decent map, then anybody can!

Offline krilain

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 11:51:35 am »
(...)
To start with the mapping, follow the "house" tutorials although they refer to the older version of the Radiant they are good. Then, open a small map tile and play with it a little. Good luck boy, the first time I was almost crying and I use AUTOCAD at work...
Hello Latino,
You're another Autocad user ? Do you know if there could be a trick to import DXF stuff directly or not in radiant? I know it was possible in Gmax, Blender, or other classical. But I really wonder for Q3Radiant ...

Offline Sandro

• Squad Leader
  • Maintenance guy for UFO:AI 3D engine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 01:26:27 pm »
Short answer: no.

Technically, it could be possible to import DXF in Blender and then use the .map exporter, but results are less than acceptable. Problem is, exporter generates a "thin skin" map, which causes a lot of problems in compiler, including completely broken geometry or even a failed compilation.

Offline Latino210

• Squad Leader
  • UFORadiant mapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 06:44:11 pm »
Krilain, I've never tried to use Cad for mapping, Radiant is simpler and quicker . I just use the Radiant for the map making and the 3DSMAX to make small .md2 for decoration.

Offline krilain

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 03:55:48 pm »
Thanks @Latino/Sandro for answering. I already tried the trick of using Blender and then using Gmax and noticed it doesn't work good at all. But it was an old Blender and i thought it could evolve. Whatever, if, as Latino says, Radiant is good enough, I'll try to get into it slowly ... Or let me use my favourite english expression : I'll get into it "by hook or by crook" :)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 03:57:52 pm by krilain »

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 05:24:47 pm »
Start mapping here. The Mapping for Dummies linked on that page is a good step-by-step to get you familiar with the controls and concepts.

Offline krilain

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 03:48:54 pm »
Start mapping here. The Mapping for Dummies linked on that page is a good step-by-step to get you familiar with the controls and concepts.
I'm on it  ;)
My objective is to take profit of winter hollidays to produce something. Mapping is theorically my natural choice.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 04:22:38 pm »
More maps are always useful.

Offline jcjordan

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2012, 01:04:08 am »
I downloaded the full installer for 2.5dev dated 12/13 that includes radiant & I've got the problem stated above where uforadiant doesn't start but does show as being started in processes shown in my desktop pic attached. Is it broken in 2.5 dev or should I try to download just radiant or is there something else I'm missing? I'd like to get it to work to poke around a bit & maybe see if I can get a couple of map problems fixed once I understand how it works.