project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: another story question: How come your technology is PHALANX-exclusive?  (Read 2729 times)

Offline bluereaper75

• Rookie
    • View Profile
it seems to me that in the case of an alien invasion, when you unlock certain technology such as laser rifles, laser turrets, alien aircraft plating and powered armor, wouldn't it be a good idea to share that technology with the armies of the world? I know in the game back-story, when the military tried to fight the aliens on their own terms, they seemed to put all their efforts into play.

How different would the end result be if they were armed with your weapons and aircraft?

Would it ever be explained why the technology you gain isn't being applied to the rest of the world? I feel like it would make PHALANX have a bigger impact if that were the case. Maybe that could be a long-term goal in the future?

Offline Anarch Cassius

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: another story question: How come your technology is PHALANX-exclusive?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 10:34:12 am »
That decision is actually left to you as a player. Most, if not all, things that you can develop and prototype that do not require alien materials will be reverse-engineered if you sell them on the open market. Then they will start coming on the market on their own like starting items rather that disappearing like unreproducable alien tech.

It seems to take a varying, perhaps random, amount of time. Factories started making Shock Rods and Laser Pistols nearly as soon as I turned over the plans. Laser Rifles took longer and nobody seems to want to copy my Electrolaser.

I have no idea what other effects this might have but I certainly think there should be some, both good and bad.

Good, the other nations can shrug off the attacks you don't catch a bit better and of course the items are availible on the market.

Bad, you're dropping new weapons tech on the market like crazy. Combined with the alien invasion I don't think that bodes well for the world's newfound political stability. Putting those weapons out there means any kind of global tensions systems get tenser. Alien sympathizers may get their hands on the weapons and turn them on you.

If you really want to play up the tensions angle you could even get more money by selling exclusively to one nation or another rather than just dropping them on the free market. You get more money and that nation likes you, but the others not so much.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 10:36:23 am by Anarch Cassius »

Offline Snowblind

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Re: another story question: How come your technology is PHALANX-exclusive?
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 05:08:14 am »
I think this is implied, but not obvious to the player. I think you get a decent reputation boost with every nation whenever you finish a research project, you can also sell your alien tech and lasers as much as you like.

It's also implied that your bases' workshops are unparalleled in the world and no factory or team of engineers in the world can produce what you can, but the nations really appreciate the data you've provided on laser weapons and can start pondering on how to go about making them in tiny amounts, like you do, but they'd keep the lasers they make for themselves anyways, just in case, rather then try and sell them to you.

So it's not 'exclusive' technology, per se, it's just so cutting edge and revolutionary that it's beyond the other nations to implement in any meaningful fashion in any relevant time frame. It's like that with any technology.