project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Weight penalties  (Read 15865 times)

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Weight penalties
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2012, 01:07:26 am »
I've just pushed changes to most equipment weights. The overall trend is lighter, but in all but a few cases the revision was small. Still, if you play with a version after this commit, you should feel a little more room to hit that normal TU threshold.

Note: I only revised equipment weights. If you suffer from low-strength soldiers from a save game before the weight system was revised, you'll still find it difficult to field a proper loadout.

Offline Anarch Cassius

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2012, 10:13:10 pm »
This is pretty workable. The Sniper Rifle now weighs a lot relatively speaking. I know some of the super-long range ones are pretty heavy but the weight seems a little extreme given how this model is described. I wasn't expecting the Needlers to come down in weight so much either but I don't think it's a huge problem. They still eat through heavy expensive ammo.

Offline DexCisco

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2012, 12:42:34 am »
Is the posted weight for a weapon that of a loaded weapon or empty?  Does loading it increase the weight?  I'm assuming that it is loaded weight and you don't actually drop weight until you reload.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2012, 11:34:04 am »
Ammo has separate weight and that weight persists when it is in the weapon. So, weight of a loaded assault rifle would be gun + ammo.

Offline Lynol

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2012, 03:37:47 pm »
Question: Is a reinstall of the game needed for the new weight system to work?

Because by upgrading via the nightly builds I got armor with a weight of 100 kg and weapons with a weight of 0 kg, which is probably not WAD (and causes my soldiers go naked into combat).

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2012, 07:33:02 pm »
You are using the binaries only nightly, aren't you? The equipment weights are in the scripts if you don't have the latest scripts the weights will be wrong (Previously only armours had weight, and I don't know where the values came form), the latest full installer should fix *that* problem.

Offline Lynol

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2012, 07:50:54 pm »
You are using the binaries only nightly, aren't you? The equipment weights are in the scripts if you don't have the latest scripts the weights will be wrong (Previously only armours had weight, and I don't know where the values came form), the latest full installer should fix *that* problem.

Solved. Thanks a bunch.

Offline Anarch Cassius

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2012, 11:47:18 am »
Okay, I'm starting to notice something weird here.

Before it seemed like my Speed stat mattered, different soldiers had different amounts of TU. Now that the new weight system is in, everyone has exactly the same TU. 30 if unencumbered.

What the heck is going?

Offline Wolls

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2012, 02:35:18 am »
   Yeah, I've got the same thing.  Everyone has the same TU's regardless of Speed stat.

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2012, 09:20:37 am »
Okay, I'm starting to notice something weird here.

Before it seemed like my Speed stat mattered, different soldiers had different amounts of TU. Now that the new weight system is in, everyone has exactly the same TU. 30 if unencumbered.

What the heck is going?

Yeah, I've got the same thing.  Everyone has the same TU's regardless of Speed stat.

Sorry, but this is like calling your mechanic and screaming "Help, my car doesn´t work!!!".

Without any information regarding the version you play (including the build day if it is the dev version), whether you talk about a fresh game or an existing one, campaign or skirmish, hints about how to reproduce the propblem and more, nobody can do anything about this. See sticky about bug reports.

I made a test with the up-to-date 2.5-dev, creating a new team for skirmish and couldn´t find a problem. Soldiers with speed<20 have 42 TUs, otherwise (speed>19) 43.

Offline Anarch Cassius

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2012, 11:03:58 am »
Sorry for the vagueness I wasn't entirely sure how much the system changed or if this was expected.

I look at the code for the change and see what the difference is. Since TU is added to a number that's being divided and min TUs went up the effect of Speed appears much smaller when encumbered at all.