project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: questions about missing features  (Read 5011 times)

Virtul

questions about missing features
« on: April 05, 2006, 03:41:22 am »
destroyable tiles, are they planned? (destroyable walls, doors, etc.)
3d globe? maybe in radar style =) like player sits in HQ and looks at kinda radar monitor

Hoehrer

Re: questions about missing features
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 08:47:39 am »
Quote from: "Virtul"
destroyable tiles, are they planned? (destroyable walls, doors, etc.)

This has been discussed alot in the forum before forum was reset, but the i   quintessence was that it isn't possible without compeltly replacing/rewritting hte 3d-engine .. in short words: Too much work for one feature.
It might be possible with the current engine as well, but it will not look anything good because of the lack of correctly calculated shadows. Also the map-design would be alot harder.
On the other side i believe that single destroyable items (trees/crates/doors/windows/etc..) will most probably be implemented ... think about destroyable things in Quake1+2 and you know what i mean.

3d globe? maybe in radar style =) like player sits in HQ and looks at kinda radar monitor

3d globe: The original development team implemented the flat map and i think we will stick with it until we find more time to do the 3d-thing it. It _is_ possible and IMHO it should be implemented (maybe even as an player selected option). That said i don#t see a reason to ditch a working thing for another right now.

radar: Personally i like the idea. We could implement the display of green radar-ranges (distorted-circles on a flat map) and let alien ships that are not yet 'identified' or whatever be show as green blibs.... don't know how hard/easy that is to implement though so don't expect too much.
That said do no not have ufos yet - just ground-missions- so they have priority ;)

Werner

Virtul

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 11:33:40 pm »
thank you for your response =)
about destroyable tiles
if choose between shadows and such brilliant tactical feature i'll choose the second
may be create a voting of some kind?
map-design afaik doesn't require any coding skills, so i think users will help in that

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 07:12:51 am »
there will be no destroyable terrain - at least not done by anyone who is currently in the dev-team. until there is a really big patchset send in by someone who completly rewrites the quake2 engine for this you won't have this feature. please no more discussion on this - just patches. this topic flooded the forum before.

i repeat - no destroyable terrain done by the current dev-team.

nevertheless thanks for your proposal with the radar - this is a thing we might look at when we find the time.

martin

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 07:14:25 am »
ah forgot about the 3d globe - this is a feature you will most liikly see in a future version - flat view or 3d globe will be an option as hoehrer said. but right now low priority.

Hoehrer

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 10:36:53 am »
Created two feature requests, just to keep track on that:

[ 1465570 ] Geoscape: 3D Globe
[ 1465568 ] Geoscape: Radar

Werner

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 01:14:27 pm »
we can have a look at the code of xtraceroute to implement the 3d globe.