project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: advanced combat hovercraft  (Read 7591 times)

Offline jcjordan

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
advanced combat hovercraft
« on: November 13, 2012, 12:26:16 am »
Anyone have some good tactics in dealing w/ these when ground is more open? I've tried to use smoke grenades to block LOS but it goes around/through those w/ it's large movment allowance & alien gas grenades (at start version) don't seem to have an effect as it just goes right through or fires right through since LOS isn't blocked. Only thing that has kinda worked is popping out from cover & back after a quick shot hoping that it doesn't move in it's turn but accuracy even w/ snipers isn't as good as it should be so it's an iffy tactic & only if range is large.

Offline Anarch Cassius

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: advanced combat hovercraft
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 12:54:40 am »
I haven't faced the advanced combat models yet. However the hovernets seem to be fairly fragile things and particularly weak to ballistics. I tend to use snipers on them and just take them out asap. Try crouching to maximize hit chance with sniper rifles, that usually makes the difference for me. I tend to rely on their accuracy being imperfect as well and hoping to take them down before they get close enough to cause trouble. A hovernet sneaking out from cover right on top of you is always bad news.

Offline jerzy_cz

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 09:56:49 am »
Plasma grenades also works. One is usually enough, and it does not trigger reaction fire.

Offline Triaxx2

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 07:37:04 am »
Rocket Launcher. Plasma Grenades. Grenade Launcher with Plasma.

Offline jcjordan

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 08:05:13 pm »
We're talking long range open ground like farm or top surface to base defense missions where cover is limited to get guys up close to it. Knife fight range (grenade/flamethrower/launcher) I've been pretty good at dealing w/ them.

Offline Triaxx2

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 12:39:59 am »
Rocket Launchers. Fire down from above using the Shift key to aim at the ground beneath them for maximum chance to cause splash damage.

Offline jcjordan

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 01:16:31 am »
Didn't know about the shift key function. Would this shift key function work say using a grenade launcher when you're standing against a wall & need to do a high arc shot to a roof just above?

Offline Sarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 01:33:16 am »
It would take some skill to do as you essentially have to aim to the highest point in trajectory to get the desired effect. But it's possible to lob nades over obstacles like this.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 11:06:38 am »
Didn't know about the shift key function. Would this shift key function work say using a grenade launcher when you're standing against a wall & need to do a high arc shot to a roof just above?

Shift only adjusts the height at which you are targeting within the targeted cell. That means its not particularly useful for shooting high into the air over an obstacle, but can be useful for other needs, like getting a grenade through a window at an odd angle.

Offline Nutter

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 02:05:59 pm »
Doesn't seem to work on hand grenades for some reason, though.
Or was that just a passing bug?

Offline Triaxx2

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 07:16:56 pm »
What you want for that is to adjust the level you're firing at. From 'ground level' go up two or three. The grenade should arc over the target.

Offline ViolentAJ

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 07:12:44 am »
Hovemets? Are you guys talking about 2.5? I didn't see anything like this in 2.4...

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2012, 01:06:07 pm »
Hovemets? Are you guys talking about 2.5? I didn't see anything like this in 2.4...

Yes, Hovernets were added after 2.4 was released.

Offline homunculus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2013, 01:33:47 pm »
i have never had any hovernet use reaction fire, so when it is your turn you are free to shoot at them no matter how many time units you use in its sight.

there is something like hovernet plasma ammo, is there anything that can be done with this item?

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2013, 04:54:59 pm »
I noticed this, too.

No. The Hovernet has a special (built-in) plasma weapon. You should not see the weapon nor the ammo anywere in the game. If you did, it needs a fix.