project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Wounded soldiers bog the game  (Read 3451 times)

Offline DexCisco

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Wounded soldiers bog the game
« on: November 08, 2012, 04:41:31 am »
I have noticed that after a while, switching to a wounded soldier starts to take longer and longer, until it can take 30 seconds to switch to them.  It may be triggered by checking the unit health screen that shows the heart rate and the !s that indicate wounds.  This is the only way that I can tell that a wounded soldier has been sufficiently healed that they will not bleed out anymore.  The !s turn to !s when the wound has been patched up completely.

I believe that after accessing this screen, switching to the unit gets caught in an ever-lengthening loop of some kind.  I have to play with it a bit more to narrow down the cause.  Is anyone else using the health screen to check wounds?

Console log seems to indicate that it is calling hud_updateactorwounds a LOT.  So much that it overflows the 4k buffer.

Another method of indicating an untreated wound on a character would be nice now that the wound system has been implemented, as well as tooltips to indicate what effects each wound has (increased move time, lower accuracy, slower reactions, spontaneous cursing, jellybean cravings...)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 07:36:47 am by DexCisco »

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Wouded soldiers bog the game
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 08:22:14 pm »
Console log seems to indicate that it is calling hud_updateactorwounds a LOT.  So much that it overflows the 4k buffer.
This is a known bug and is not specific to wounds, seeing that updateactorvalues shows the same problem (see log attached to above bug), I'm hoping that bayo will show up and shed some light on this, shorter game sessions (close and reopen) should work around this problem.

Another method of indicating an untreated wound on a character would be nice now that the wound system has been implemented,
This is planned and will be added as time permits.

as well as tooltips to indicate what effects each wound has (increased move time, lower accuracy, slower reactions, spontaneous cursing, jellybean cravings...)
There are tooltips on those little icons, but for some strange reason (bug) that I haven't been able to figure out yet, they show only if you exclusively use the 'P' key to open the health screen, the moment you open it by clicking something they stop showing until you close and reopen the game, but only if you are playing the campaign, in skirmish they seem to work perfectly, regardless of how you open the window...

Offline DexCisco

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Wounded soldiers bog the game
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 07:50:08 am »
This is a known bug and is not specific to wounds, seeing that updateactorvalues shows the same problem (see log attached to above bug), I'm hoping that bayo will show up and shed some light on this, shorter game sessions (close and reopen) should work around this problem.

The attached log was produced immediately after a clean load, then directly into a battle.  Quit after about 3-4 rounds because the problem had already manifest itself, though I was deliberately opening the health window numerous times on wounded units and switching units to evoke the error.

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 10:31:16 pm »
I removed cvarlisteners for the time being, that should work around the problem while the real bug is fixed, please check again with latest version.

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 11:58:11 pm »
I think I've found the root of the problem, this should be fixed for good now.

Offline DexCisco

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 09:51:42 pm »
I haven't noticed it recently, so I think it is good now.  I have noticed a similar flooding of the console log when you use Gas Grenades, complaining about not being able to spawn child particles, but it doesn't seem to bring the game down.  Maybe the fix is similar.

Offline Anarch Cassius

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 12:03:41 am »
All particle effects seem to do that. Probably trying to spawn more than some internal limit allows.

Also how the heck did you get Gas Grenades?

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 08:28:52 pm »
I haven't noticed it recently, so I think it is good now.  I have noticed a similar flooding of the console log when you use Gas Grenades, complaining about not being able to spawn child particles, but it doesn't seem to bring the game down.  Maybe the fix is similar.
Reducing the particle's tps should fix it, but that's up to Crystan
Or maybe creating a new particle, I just used an already existing particle