project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Harvesters and AI Pathfinding  (Read 3342 times)

Offline DexCisco

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Harvesters and AI Pathfinding
« on: November 08, 2012, 04:29:38 am »
I have found that it can be easy to trap all the aliens in the UFO if you are on a map with a landed Harvester.  Run one man up to the front of the Harvester, right next to the front chambers.  The aliens all can see you somehow and will try to get you, but they can't figure out that they have to leave the UFO first.  They all congregate in the forward compartments, right next to your man.  Clear the area, then move the rest of your team around the back and set up a kill zone.  Then move the man up front away from the UFO and the aliens will head toward the rest of your men out back.  You can sometimes regulate how many aliens will leave by how far away you move and by moving back after a turn.

It's cheesy, but I look forward to the day that it doesn't work because the AI can pathfind out of areas with limited access.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Re: Harvesters and AI Pathfinding
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 06:54:18 am »
we are working on longer pathes for the ai already.

Offline Triaxx2

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 12:29:41 am »
If it's landed in just the right spot, it's possible to splash those in the upper compartments with grenades. The windows on top are breakable. I like a 'Nade Launcher to break the windows, then I toss regular grenades in to get the aliens. Do it right and it bounces over the console and lands in their lap.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 10:54:41 am »
If it's landed in just the right spot, it's possible to splash those in the upper compartments with grenades. The windows on top are breakable. I like a 'Nade Launcher to break the windows, then I toss regular grenades in to get the aliens. Do it right and it bounces over the console and lands in their lap.

I think he didn't ask for advices to kill aliens, but would like to see smarter AI.

-geever

Offline Triaxx2

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 09:27:24 pm »
I know, but this is the tactics forum, and this tactic works well also. I'd like the aliens to be able to leave as well, but until then that's my tactic for dealing with their stupidity.