project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: 3D models questions...  (Read 11044 times)

Offline krilain

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: 3D models questions...
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, 04:10:32 pm »
Hello,

can I add some other questions to the Latinos sensitive ones, once it has been answered ?
Mine are very simple for I'm new at char modeling. Here they are.

When I open MD2 taman for instance, I see a serie of small animation sequences (lets give us for clarifying : frame 1 to 5 -> taman falling down, frame 5 to 12 -> taman crouching). My question is :
1- For any char creation do we have to follow the same rigid pattern ? Do we just have to make a serie of animated sequence, and then to define what sequence is for what purpose ? If I'm right, where is the file where those definitions are stocked?

2- Second question. Do we absolutely need IK bones for MD2 animating ? Or is it only a powerful helper which have to be deleted at the end of animation process ?

3- Supposing you use Gmax for 3d modeling, how do you prepare to make the texture painting ? Is there a unwrap tool or something I missed ?

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 06:10:09 pm »
Hello,

I'm not a modeller myself but hopefully can serve a bit info here:

1- For any char creation do we have to follow the same rigid pattern ? Do we just have to make a serie of animated sequence, and then to define what sequence is for what purpose ? If I'm right, where is the file where those definitions are stocked?

We have a wiki about Character Animations

2- Second question. Do we absolutely need IK bones for MD2 animating ? Or is it only a powerful helper which have to be deleted at the end of animation process ?

MD2 format doesn't support bones, but we suggest creating bones and creating animations with them due to two reasons:
- it is usually easier to create and update animations using the skeleton
- we may change to a newer model format that support bones

-geever

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, 07:06:49 pm »
3- Supposing you use Gmax for 3d modeling, how do you prepare to make the texture painting ? Is there a unwrap tool or something I missed ?

Look for the UVWUnwrap modifier. That's what it is in 3DSM, so it must be there in Gmax.

Offline krilain

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2012, 02:16:30 pm »
Hello,
I'm not a modeller myself but hopefully can serve a bit info here:
(...)
Thank you. I'll make some tries and give you feedback later.
Look for the UVWUnwrap modifier. That's what it is in 3DSM, so it must be there in Gmax.
Ok, I found it :)

Offline p0ss

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2013, 10:44:47 am »
Any word on that new model format?  Or perhaps some kind person who understands md2 can update the scripts? Surely requiring an outdated version of Blender is an unviable long term plan to gain contributors?

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2013, 11:57:15 am »
The exporter was updated a while ago by Darkrain. The working one should be in our repository.

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2013, 07:59:25 pm »
Specifically you want io_mesh_md2.py for exporting models and io_scene_tag.py for exporting tags, I have only tested with blender 2.63, 2.65 and 2.66