project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Dropship/Fighter Contribution  (Read 31349 times)

Offline Anderty

• Rookie
  • GUI designer, web-developer, 3D artist.
    • View Profile
    • anmeyro.net
Re: Dropship/Fighter Contribution
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2012, 07:48:57 pm »
Looking very nice. You're right, no one will see the bottom unless we crash it! :)

Oh, right, forgot 'bout crashing. Damn, much more work to do T.T. But ok, thx for reminding.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2012, 08:30:10 pm »
Looking very nice. You're right, no one will see the bottom unless we crash it! :)

Players can rotate the model on the UI to any direction. So, it doesn't need much details, but don't make it simply grey-painted, please.

-geever

Offline Anderty

• Rookie
    • View Profile
    • anmeyro.net
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2012, 09:16:26 pm »
Players can rotate the model on the UI to any direction. So, it doesn't need much details, but don't make it simply grey-painted, please.

-geever

Yes, I remembered that after a while. As well, I didn't considered left it grey. It just won't be much detailed, as detailing take 'lot of time.

Offline Anderty

• Rookie
    • View Profile
    • anmeyro.net
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2012, 01:39:00 am »
Done.

I, currently, can't make normal map, as I didn't made high-poly mesh, as well I can't do that in image editor too, as using normal map making plugins don't reveal pleasant achievements (may be, if I render light-map and add it to texture, may be plug-in generated normal map should be much more nicer... I'll give it a try.).

So, I attached archive with blend files (I don't want to export them in other formats now, as realy tired and should do some work first, so, bare with me. It was great pleasure to spent free time to Hyperion, but I should spend some time to work too, as 0 progress is kinda noticeable :P).

blend files have 3 type of models: geoscape, battlemap and flying/closed one (for flight mode, with closed drop section.)

I'll make crushed one tomorrow.

Our wiki has some information about exporting from Blender, although it may be out of date. Please give it a shot and update the wiki if you find anything incorrect.

If you're unable to get it working, don't worry. Provide a OBJ file of the model and I will get it to MD2 for you. We'll probably rename the MD2 and texture files before we add it anyway, so this is not a problem for us.

Please also specify what license you are willing to release under. We prefer GNU General Public License 2.0 or later. But we're also happy with CC BY-SA 3.0 if you'd prefer that.

I choose GNU 2.0.

As I see now, only normal map, reflect map and crashed one is needed. Something else?

Offline Anderty

• Rookie
    • View Profile
    • anmeyro.net
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2012, 10:36:45 am »
And some info.

Project, originally, was made by Russians at early 2045, but, as lack of tech, project was freeze. After so many years, current knowledge gave access to unbelievable successive working prototypes.

Using so much powerful thurst engines result in ability to fly without wings, relaying on thurst air pressure, rather than on aerodynamics. Thursts, as well, are advanced vertical thurst system implementation, which is very important for drop-ship aircraft.
As it's easy noticeable  ship is all covered in cutting-edge production advanced nano-tube alloy plating. Some of those plating are very durable and physically inpenetrable cover, for defending important sections of craft.
Other, most of them, are boosted stealth alloys, making craft invisible (for electronic warfare), despite it's clearly heavy architecture. Of 'course, it's not good as Saracen stealth technology guidelines, but it's still considerably much better, than it should be. Stealth plating, in advance, gives considerable protection too.

As Hyperion have many secondary vertical thurst engines, it's quite maneuverable craft, but as developer suggest, it's quite harsh for crew to do so. If craft is only piloted, than such ability is neat, but with crew aboard, aircraft should stick to classic air combat acrobatics. May be, professional pilot skills can change that, but it still depend on crew readiness.

Did I mentioned, that only 6 crew members can be transported? Well, now you know. You must understand, that for advanced fighting and transporting abilities, some sacrifice is required.

As Mass production of such craft is considerably high, nations still agree to release mass produced versions, as prototype stage was early finished. Current service release is first. I can tell for sure, that next modification release won't be released soon, as I can't foresight any more cutting-edge tech humanity has, to improve current craft build.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2012, 04:59:50 pm »
As it's easy noticeable  ship is all covered in cutting-edge production advanced nano-tube alloy plating.

Nano-tubes are the base of the Alien technology. Another research article we have says (Alien Materials (?) ), that we couldn't manage to make them. And Hyperion should be an early, completely human/tech based craft.... so the story needs adjustments...

-geever

Offline Anderty

• Rookie
    • View Profile
    • anmeyro.net
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2012, 05:59:48 pm »
Nano-tubes are the base of the Alien technology. Another research article we have says (Alien Materials (?) ), that we couldn't manage to make them. And Hyperion should be an early, completely human/tech based craft.... so the story needs adjustments...

-geever

That's, actually, base reference. I not intended to make fully fledged ufopedia data, so adjustments any way must be done :P. As well, yes, I miss-watched that, somehow... but saracen intel says its using such tech... mystique?

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2012, 06:06:07 pm »
In the *spoiler*tech tree outline*spoiler* I'm working towards, it's actually placed in the middle game, so it's pretty flexible in terms of the technology used. I think we're not meant to be able to manufacture alien materials, but that's why we salvage them from disassembled UFOs, if I understand that correctly.

Offline Anderty

• Rookie
    • View Profile
    • anmeyro.net
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2012, 06:57:40 pm »
In the *spoiler*tech tree outline*spoiler* I'm working towards, it's actually placed in the middle game, so it's pretty flexible in terms of the technology used. I think we're not meant to be able to manufacture alien materials, but that's why we salvage them from disassembled UFOs, if I understand that correctly.

Well, as I remmember in base description - hyperion is early game. But, well, I guess it's much more better, if placed in mid game. As well, If needed, modifications toward intel can be done, attaching some alien tech (alien materials for sure, as it's armored craft). And you just remainded me one thing. I wanted to make much more beatifull version of heracles craft, as this one - is... you get it. Don't worry, model making is easy and fast, so tommor you'll se my concept of such craft. As well, I took some 30 min on sniper rifle model.
It should be put in another topic, when I'll add assault rifle, machine gun and smg updated versions.
And I'll finish crashed one by any moment.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2012, 08:52:55 pm »

That techtree is wrong. Our design article of Hyperion says:
This craft becomes available in the early game, after research. It is entirely human-tech based.

-geever

Offline Nutter

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2012, 10:10:44 pm »

From what I remember, the first paragraph of the nanocomposite armour completion message says they figured out how to mass produce carbon nanotubes. More or less.
But I'm not sure if that one requires alien materials in 2.4 or not. Completely clueless regarding .5.

Offline Anderty

• Rookie
    • View Profile
    • anmeyro.net
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2012, 11:40:50 pm »
So, do I need write correct data, or should do it someone else (more knowledgeable)?

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2012, 11:47:55 pm »
That techtree is wrong. Our design article of Hyperion says:
Currently, plans for the campaign do not stick to that design article (which was written in February 2009). Please feel free to discuss the revised tech tree on the campaign staging wiki page. That's why I put it there.

So, do I need write correct data, or should do it someone else (more knowledgeable)?

No, don't worry about it. We will work it out when the time comes to integrate it (aside from the model, we will also need to integrate it into the maps before we can activate it). When we compile research texts, we'll use what we can from your tech ideas depending on how we decide on it's timing and placement.

Offline p0ss

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2015, 01:39:27 am »
I've been playing around with this model, adding additional texture maps to it.   

I altered the diff map into a 2048x2048 master, then made a spec map and glow map based off that.  I also did up a hi poly model to render into a normal map,

Here is an image showing the versions, current version on the left, 700k poly version on the right and low poly with new maps in the middle.

The problem is that there are irregularities in the normal map, and i think it is because i fudged the hi poly model. From what i can tell the algorithm isn't handling the sharp edges well, and I think its because i should have applied sharp modifiers before doing the subdivide.   To fix this i'd have to redo the hi poly model from scratch, which is rather disheartening as it took a long time.  Its a learning process as always, but i think i might leave this one at the current point for a bit. I've uploaded the files here if anyone feels like looking over it, maybe some of it is useful.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1TGXjhXeLFfdHJVU05wWVJRUzg/view?usp=sharing

Offline Sandro

• Squad Leader
  • Maintenance guy for UFO:AI 3D engine
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2015, 01:19:09 am »
Here is an image showing the versions, current version on the left, 700k poly version on the right and low poly with new maps in the middle.

Niiice!!!
But, for  realism, it could be better to increase the stab area to keep the 1:5 rule.