project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: I miss the unload weapon feature  (Read 3952 times)

Offline Rodmar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
I miss the unload weapon feature
« on: October 04, 2012, 02:43:20 pm »
... in UFO : Defense.

Not to cheat with the ammunition number before mission ends....

It is when you try to capture aliens alive. In UFO : Defense, if I recall well, when aliens woke up, they didn't take their weapons on the ground.
In UFO : AI, they do (at least light weapons ?). It is fine for me, but in stead of having to go to them , take their weapons, move one square and drop them, I would better have their weapon unloaded on the spot. I am a lazy guy.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: I miss the unload weapon feature
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 04:20:33 pm »
I'm not sure if this works on the battlescape, but have you tried right-clicking on the weapon when your soldier is holding it?

I know in the equip menu, if you right-click on an equipped weapon, it will empty the ammo clip. But I'm not sure if that's the case in the battlescape.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 04:59:12 pm »
In any way, you wanna cheat.. pff..

-geever

Offline Rodmar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 09:28:14 pm »
How so ?
When you have a prisoner, you disarm him.

It would take, say 7 TUs per weapon to take that weapon, unload and drop it, and the ammo.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 10:36:44 pm »
Ideally the alien would take up the weapon and the ammo, reload and shot you in the back. I don't know if the AI is smart enough to search for an ammo, but counting on such a "bug" if exists is not fair.

You can btw. keep their weapons in your backpack if you wanna disarm them.

-geever

Offline Sandro

• Squad Leader
  • Maintenance guy for UFO:AI 3D engine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 12:32:13 am »
Well, as I've said that to you a few minutes ago at IRC, AI is not that smart, and will not actively hunt weapons and ammo in case of need. So yes, that cheat works.

Offline Triaxx2

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 03:07:14 am »
Of course you could have one guy wander along and pick up the weapons and drop them somewhere safe.

Nokim

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 06:41:05 am »
Well, unloading ammo can be useful to change ammo type, say AP to plasma bullets or plasma grenade to gas grenade (long asked feature) in grenade launcher (to save civilian near alien or take captive).

About stunned aliens.
1. You just don't need so many of them to stun all aliens on map. 10 stunned aliens - all you need for all game.
2. Just use additional gas grenade on them to keep them quit to mission end. Btw i don't remember case when alien get up after gas grenade. Died - yes (from wounds). Get up - no.

Offline Rodmar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 12:41:44 pm »
LOL
Wait...

Do you know that I have just completed my third Containment Unit (in another base) ? I was somewhat mislead by Dc Connor, who said that the more the captive Aliens, the better (also, I'd think that you have quotas by species), so that I was beginning to build my captive coll...
Spoiler:
up, in hope for unlocking something... (well done for the gripping story-telling, then). I will post a feature request soon !

About cheating, of course the smarter the Aliens, the better ! I really am for having to hide and transport melee weapons and ammo to a guarded place. Given the current AI, I just feel having to move the loaded weapons only one square a "pain", compared to unloading them on the spot.

But, as you said, this isn't much a problem, given the current need in captives (I never had to kill them so far) : without gas grenades, the waking-up occurred only once before I had prisoners enough.

Should I tag this thread as [Unnecessary] ?

Offline beng

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2015, 08:04:49 am »
It would be good to have an unload feature for weapons with more than one ammo type, like the grenade launcher, so you can switch from HIT or incendiary to flechette ammo and back without losing unused ammo.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2015, 09:31:11 am »
Plannned FR#4121

-geever