project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Prospectors Camp - multi part map  (Read 8483 times)

Offline Latino210

• Squad Leader
  • UFORadiant mapper
    • View Profile
Prospectors Camp - multi part map
« on: September 30, 2012, 02:59:15 pm »
Hi guys

I am thinking about making an ambitious modification to the game. Right now, I am building some new maps more appropriate to the mod. For example, I am going towards a more "high tech" map, since the vast majority of maps looks like a world where humanity has reverted to the same technology of the '80!
I've made some 1024X1024 sections, maybe I will combine them in a large map or I will make my first RMA if somebody helps me with the RMA logic.I've used some textures from the burningwell.org site, they should be OK to use.

The main section is a geologist's camp in the middle of the desert. There are about 10 people living in really Spartan condition, a common building and a satellite dish.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 06:42:17 pm by Latino210 »

Offline Latino210

• Squad Leader
  • UFORadiant mapper
    • View Profile
Re: Prospectors Camp - multi part map
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 03:23:33 pm »
The second section is a big coring room where the geologist are using a laser to sample the minerals. The enemy will come from underground
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 06:42:32 pm by Latino210 »

Offline Latino210

• Squad Leader
  • UFORadiant mapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 05:43:50 pm »
The last one is the landing spot for the craft.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 06:42:42 pm by Latino210 »

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 06:26:45 pm »
Looks promising. It would be good if you would attach the .map files instead of the .bsp for _main and _coring.

From looking at the dropship file - you should give some attention to this : This links to the Mapping/Dimensions section of the UFO:AI Wiki.  I already know you dont want to work through this, but if you want to make quality maps you have to.

Offline Latino210

• Squad Leader
  • UFORadiant mapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 07:30:34 pm »
Looks promising. It would be good if you would attach the .map files instead of the .bsp for _main and _coring.

From looking at the dropship file - you should give some attention to this : This links to the Mapping/Dimensions section of the UFO:AI Wiki.  I already know you dont want to work through this, but if you want to make quality maps you have to.

I am really sorry, but I do not understand what are you talking about. I've tested the dropship, AFAIK it works fine. The player starts in a trench at level 1 and climbs to level 2 to face the aliens. The RMA should work like this

dropship

main

coring

with several +main and +coring to choose from. If you would explain what the problem is, I would be very grateful. I am including the .maps and the textures, too.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 06:43:02 pm by Latino210 »

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 08:22:37 pm »
I am talking about the vertical dimensions.

From sideview one floor has a height of 64 units. The ground floor goes from 0-64 the second from 64-128 and so on. The lowest 4 units of each floor are used for the block the actors are standing on.

This is done well in _main, not so for the other two.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 09:25:29 pm »
Latino210: all texture dimensions must be multiples of 2 (64, 128, 256, 512). Remember you had to fix some textures from your previous map because of this too.

Offline Latino210

• Squad Leader
  • UFORadiant mapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 12:38:05 am »
Latino210: all texture dimensions must be multiples of 2 (64, 128, 256, 512). Remember you had to fix some textures from your previous map because of this too.
Oh, thanks, I totally forgot about that. I will make the textures powers (not multiples) of 2.

I am talking about the vertical dimensions.

Fix'd, Sir!

All right, I've just finished an alternative of the "coring room". Now a couple of geologists are checking some strange rocks with a laser, but they have awakened something from the deep.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 11:56:35 pm by Latino210 »

Offline Latino210

• Squad Leader
  • UFORadiant mapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 06:28:11 pm »
All right, I've resized/cropped the textures to make them powers of 2 and I have redone the doors in the main and main2. Now I'd just need a clue on how to implement the RMA. Can somebody help? Maybe giving to me a decent tutorial? Here is my idea for the assembly:

craft

MC-main or MC-main2

MC-coring or MC-coring2

The craft is just a trench 1024X896, the other maps are 1024X1024. How many aliens would I need to put in such a map?

I am including some modified textures from burningwell. Since I have modified all of them I think that there will be no copyright problems. They are in the zipped dir, to be put into the "textures" dir.
The screenshots depict the result of the final assembly. I've tested and I could not find any bugs. Any feedback would be really appreciated. I know that the backstory (aliens emerging from underground in a wasteland/desertic setting) does not make any sense in the UFO:AI backstory, I am working towards making an ambitious mod for this game. Well, even the vanilla UFO:AI could benefit from some different maps, no?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 11:56:55 pm by Latino210 »

Offline Sandro

• Squad Leader
  • Maintenance guy for UFO:AI 3D engine
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 06:52:44 pm »
http://ufoai.org/wiki/index.php/Mapping/Random_map_assembly

Also, 896 is a bad dimension, since RMA tiles' dimensions are required to be multiplies of 256. Pad extra 128 units worth or truncate it, your choice. Personally, I would recomment to pad, so it would match other tiles in size.

Also, modifying textures typically does NOT clear the licenses -- be careful there. Some open licenses even disallow derived works.

Offline Latino210

• Squad Leader
  • UFORadiant mapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 08:28:45 pm »
The textures are from burningwell, they are already free to use. I will pad the craft tile to make it 1024X1024.

http://ufoai.org/wiki/index.php/Mapping/Random_map_assembly

That "tutorial" is totally unreadable, it's by far the worst amongst the tutorials for UFO:AI. The author is probably a starving Ethiopian boy that was beaten half to death with an Amharic-English dictionary before being smuggled to China and forced to write tutorials for an unusually cruel sweatshop owner.

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 08:46:44 pm »
That "tutorial" is totally unreadable, it's by far the worst amongst the tutorials for UFO:AI. The author is probably a starving Ethiopian boy that was beaten half to death with an Amharic-English dictionary before being smuggled to China and forced to write tutorials for an unusually cruel sweatshop owner.

Yeah, I still wonder how I could learn to do RMAs from this tutorial without any problems.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 10:15:44 pm »
The RMA info should typically be read alongside this, which gives you an example of a single RMA tile.

The best way to learn how to make an RMA is to look at an already existing one. Check out the .map and .ump files for an RMA theme you're familiar with.

Offline Latino210

• Squad Leader
  • UFORadiant mapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 10:41:23 pm »
Maybe you are more intelligent than me  ;D  Care to share some of your wisdom? For example, talking about the .ump file I reckon that you have to define al of your tiles. My 1024X1024 main.map tile would need something like this:

Code: [Select]
tile +main
{
4 5

0  a  a  0
    a +a +a  a
    a +a +a  a
    0  a  a  0
}

but I have no clue about what to write after "assembly default". The assembly would need to be like this:
craft map
main or main2 map
coring or coring2 map

all six maps are 1024X1024. Any help would be appreciated.

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 11:17:19 pm »
Here is a quick example:
Code: [Select]
base MC/MC-  //assuming you put your maps in base/maps/MC (and going by the names in your .zip)

tile +craft-Firebird
{
    6 6 //Size: 4 x 4 RMA tiles (one tile is 256 x 256 radiant units) surrounded by 'requirements'

0  a  a  a  a  0
    a +a +a +a +a  a
    a +a +a +a +a  a
    a +a +a +a +a  a
    a +a +a +a +a  a
    0  a  a  a  a  0
}
//More pieces here

assembly default
{
size "4 12" //Size in RMA (256x256) tiles
grid "4 4" //All pieces are multiple of 4 x 4 (in this case they are exactly 4x4)
+core "0 1" //0 to 1 of these
+main "0 1"
// Other pieces here
+craft-Firebird "1 1" // always 1 and only 1
}

for this it would be best to use fixed tilesets and tiles, but lets start with the basics
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 11:26:14 pm by DarkRain »