project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Player Skills reset to 0  (Read 3545 times)

Offline CyberSA

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Player Skills reset to 0
« on: September 28, 2012, 08:31:49 am »
Hi Guys,

Been playing with the team_templates.ufo file to make a super Unit. The only issue I have is I can not find what the Max skill is.

If a unit gains skill over 255, it resets to 0. (I know I have kinda answered the question of Max skill here but need to know what the highest starting skill should be so it will never get to 255? )

I want to know what the game Highest Skill should be Be and also if it is possible to stop the skill from resetting to 0 after reaching 255?

Please advise Per Skill

Thanks

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Player Skills reset to 0
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 11:16:50 am »
I don't believe there is a maximum total over the whole game. But there is a per-mission maximum. DarkRain dug into the numbers recently and said that in 100 missions the max skill increase a soldier could gain was 50. So as long as you're not playing more than 100 missions you should be safe at 200.

Keep in mind this is for SKILLS only (close,assault,sniper,explosives). Abilities (strength, speed, accuracy, mind) are all different. Well why don't I just post what DarkRain said:

Something to keep in mind: there is a hardcoded max for the experience a soldier can gain per mission in a given stat, this was originally calculated assuming an average career length of 100 missions for a PHALANX soldier
That means that in 100 missions a soldier can gain up to (assuming that they get max exp every time): 25 strength, 14 speed, 30 accuracy, 39, mind, 50 <weapon skill> and 99 max HP
See: G_CharacterGetMaxExperiencePerMission()

Offline CyberSA

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 12:00:51 pm »
Cool so Skills should be 200 (max being 255)

And what will the max lv for Abilities be?

Also is there a way to remove or increase the LV caps on Skills and Abilities?

Thanks

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 01:18:40 pm »
Look at the quote I put in my previous post. It includes max improvement over 100 missions for abilities.

You can remove the skills max limit if you know how to program in C/C++. You'll need to get the source code from our repo and investigate. Look at the section that says "See how to get the source and compile it" on our download page.

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 11:40:36 pm »
Interesting, that means the game doesn't enforce the defined MAX_SKILL of 100, and apparently it doesn't check against integer overflow either.

To get more than 255, you'd need to change the type of the variables that store the abilities/skills

Edit:
Oh, and change the battlescape events accordingly, and check what else I'm forgetting.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 11:55:38 pm by DarkRain »

Offline Quizer

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 09:47:34 pm »
I'd like to find out how to earn experience for each stat, and numerical values for the benefit each stat provides (where it isn't obvious, such as HP). Is this information written down somewhere?