project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Rich selection of maps  (Read 3302 times)

Offline noctilucus

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Rich selection of maps
« on: September 25, 2012, 11:09:28 pm »
Just wanted to share that I've been very pleasantly surprised lately by the wide array of maps that are being used in UFO:AI (especially now that I'm playing 2.4, even though most if not all of those maps already existed in 2.3)

I've finished a game in 2.3, coming across some of the more rare maps very late in the game which made for a nice change.
And now again, maybe 2 years into the game in version 2.4... just when I started to have the feeling that I was seeing mostly the same locations over and over again, I get a few maps I've never seen before in those hundreds of missions I've already gone through, featuring a different kind of lab, a small multi-storey house with a pool, ...
I even had one location that featured the metro station that was part of a very early demo where we didn't even have a geoscape yet, bringing back good memories.

Just wanted to say thanks to the developers and artists involved. All the work you've put into those locations is much appreciated and adds spice to the game!

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Rich selection of maps
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 11:49:59 pm »
You mostly have ShipIt to thank for that. He figured out that most of our maps were not being used and went about doing a lot of tedious work to make sure a wider selection came into play.

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 08:11:51 am »
To be honest : It was Duke who suspected something going wrong with the map selection first (he mentioned this on IRC), geever introduced me in how the mapselection works, H-Hour collected savegames from players in the forum and wrote the script to extract and collect the necessary data from those saves, and finally mattn fixed the code.

And iirc this fix did not even make it into 2.4.  :(

Offline noctilucus

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 10:49:50 am »
And iirc this fix did not even make it into 2.4.  :(

That might explain why it took a good 150 - 200 missions to discover some new maps. Or in other words, if that fix will be part of 2.5, the maps that are currently rarely used will see more play  ;)

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 02:20:38 pm »
That might explain why it took a good 150 - 200 missions to discover some new maps. Or in other words, if that fix will be part of 2.5, the maps that are currently rarely used will see more play  ;)

8)

Offline Flying Steel

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 04:57:26 pm »
Or in other words, if that fix will be part of 2.5, the maps that are currently rarely used will see more play  ;)

If it is classified as a fix rather than a feature, it might still end up in a version 2.4.1.