project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Where do we translate now?  (Read 7968 times)

Offline Evropi

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Where do we translate now?
« on: August 26, 2012, 02:21:36 pm »
Hi, I want to continue work on my translation, but the latest new message confused me a little...

From the moment I signed up as a translator, I worked on UFO:AI's instance of Pootle. Before that my 30% or so complete translation was done on a PO file I yanked from the source repository.

Should I continue working on Pootle  or will it not be checked? I'm somewhat confused.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Re: Where do we translate now?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 02:53:02 pm »
we are still in the process to change the translation workflow.

you can still use pootle - but you also have to upload the new po files from the repository (you should have the rights to upload new files and also to accept translations).

Offline Evropi

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 02:45:21 pm »
I didn't even know I had commit access. I'll try to figure out how to get it set up, though you should look into a more automated way of getting translations accepted, like with Transifex.

So what you're saying is, as I understand it:
  • Merge the two .po files--the fresh one from a git repository and the other from pootle.
  • Upload that to Pootle, work there (just in case someone else want to step in, so I wouldn't do it offline).
  • Download the new, more complete .po translation from Pootle again.
  • Upload that to the repository!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 02:50:41 pm by Evropi »

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 09:25:52 pm »
yes

the upload to the repository can be done by doing a pull-request on github, or just by sending the po file via the patch tracker.

i don't know Transifex - is it free? can we install it locally?

Offline Evropi

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 06:49:39 pm »
Cheers! I'll continue work on Pootle then.  ;D

As for Transifex, it is brilliant from an end-user point-of-view. Easily outclasses every other product in that area. I've used it to translater primarily Vidalia, but some other smaller open source software projects too, and can attest to its excellence as a translation interface. Even better than editing in Virtaal, the greatest of all desktop translation clients.

It is completely free and open source and the platform's "public instance" is at https://www.transifex.com/. The code and a bunch of links that might interest you are at the company's gitHub page. It's made by the same person that made Status.net, and it follows a similar model.

He offers installation and support for a fee though you can do it yourself with some difficulty. Upgrades, as I understand it, are liable to make the instance go faulty, which has happened recently for the Xfce Desktop project (which hosts its own instance).

You should look into it. Free and open source, and great from an end-user point of view. It's just that I heard that it syncs with version control, but I'm not much interested in those details.

Thanks for the instructions and your sustained high level of support. Will do. :)

Offline magerg

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 12:10:16 am »
Hi,
sorry for my lack of comprehension, but how do I publish my translation?

I have managed to get the source, worked on the po file with PoEdit.
Now I am stuck at 'git push'.

Do I need to register an account at sourceforge? Or is there another interface, where I can just send a patch/po file?

By the way, the current state of translation process might scare a lot of people away. Surely I am not alone with this opinion.

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 04:52:33 pm »
You can submit a patch to the tracker (sourceforge account needed) or maybe attach it here.

Offline magerg

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 04:09:50 pm »
All right, I have posted patch #682: https://sourceforge.net/p/ufoai/patches/682/
Can I keep updating this ticket, or do I have to open a new for each update?

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 05:34:59 pm »
please do a new one for each patch - because we are closing applied patch tracker items.

thanks a lot

Offline solbu

• Administrator
  • Rookie
  • Norwegian translator, Mageia packager
    • View Profile
    • My website
Proposal for new translation hosting
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 07:04:40 pm »
The last year I've been involved in translation of other packages. The vast majority of them is hosted at the Translation Project. The main benefit for translators is that when the pot file changes, all translators get an email, saying something to the effect that the pot file changed so we should try to update the translation.

When we submit a new/updated po file, we get a mail withing about 10 minutes, saying it's accepted. If something is wrong with the po file we submit, it is rejected and we get a mail back saying why it was rejected. So it automatically test compile them, to make sure it's ok.