project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Can't make money/keep nations happy on Easy  (Read 5146 times)

Offline Beric

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Can't make money/keep nations happy on Easy
« on: August 14, 2012, 08:53:52 am »
So I've been playing this game on and off for four years. I haven't touched it that much since 2.3, but playing 2.5.dev a lot over the past week (sure is addicting!), it seems MUCH harder than it used to be. Not as much in the tactical area (though it's definitely harder there as well), but more on the strategic level. This is the fourth Easy campaign I'm on, having lost the previous three due to nation happiness.

Specifically, even on easy mode, countries instantly drop in happiness level. Along with this drops monthly income. Research is slower than ever (back in 2.3 I always ran out of things to research!), so I've compensated by hiring a lot of scientists. In my current campaign I'm in August, and I have 55 scientists in 6 labs, but have way too much I still need to research. I have two bases, the second one with 30 workers. However, in order to build the second base, I have been forced to sell everything, including my one interceptor and all alien tech I obtain, leaving none for research.

In addition, I'm forced to sell every alien ship I capture in order to keep countries from going under and me losing, as well as for monetary needs, preventing me from researching these ships. I would build more bases in other countries in order to shoot down more ships and get more money, but I can't because I don't have enough money. Production no longer makes money either, so I'm out of ways to make cash.

I currently lose 150K a month (as well as spending money on production), which I recoup selling UFO's and alien tech, causing me to break even. I have nothing left to sell in order to build an interceptor. I could fire scientists/workers, but that would make me even more technically backwards.

Is this game getting harder, or has it changed and I'm now playing it wrong?

Offline Timo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Can't make money/keep nations happy on Easy
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 09:12:17 am »
However, in order to build the second base, I have been forced to sell everything, including my one interceptor and all alien tech I obtain, leaving none for research.

I think your error comes with selling that interceptor. In order to keep nations happy you need to shoot down as many UFO:s you can, and take every single mission that comes with preference to landed UFO:s (harvesting, terror, whatever). UFO:s shot down are not going anywhere very soon.

My almost first buy in normal difficulty was another stiletto in order to shoot as many scouts and fighters as I can. Harvesters are too big, those I leave alone until I have much better weaponry and crafts.

Also, build radar towers in strategic positions. Those are cheap and allow you to catch more missions.

Offline Beric

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 09:22:17 am »
I think your error comes with selling that interceptor. In order to keep nations happy you need to shoot down as many UFO:s you can, and take every single mission that comes with preference to landed UFO:s (harvesting, terror, whatever). UFO:s shot down are not going anywhere very soon.

My almost first buy in normal difficulty was another stiletto in order to shoot as many scouts and fighters as I can. Harvesters are too big, those I leave alone until I have much better weaponry and crafts.

Also, build radar towers in strategic positions. Those are cheap and allow you to catch more missions.

I just can't understand why they get so unhappy. I accept every mission and minimize civilian loss. The countries' invaders are getting killed, they're getting alien tech, and their civilians aren't dying. I'm also progressing in my ability to fight them. Why should they care if a few aliens fly over their heads? I definitely didn't have to shoot down so many aliens in the past. And my SAM sites surrounding my two bases I build back in the beginning shoot down a ton as it is.

Offline Timo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 09:40:52 am »
Why should they care if a few aliens fly over their heads?

My rationalize for that is that every UFO means some sort of alien mission, and you (or the country in question) just don't get alerts from most of them until it is too late. Shooting UFO:s down means pre-emptive strike which means less alien missions.

Nokim

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 09:56:50 am »
1. Right now in game code (2.5-dev) is bug related to hardcoded salaries values. So actually on easy you spend much more money on personnel salary then on normal.
2. I agree with Timo, you should not to sell interceptor. Shoot UFOs as much as you can and don't leave them on ground. I didn't use radar towers and SAM sites - this saves money for building bases.
3. You don't need many workers in beginning. More research, more bases with interceptors and radar coverage and at least one UFO yard to store one UFO per type for research and disassemble later. Specially useful storing intact Harvesters - antimatter and weapons for your future interceptors.
4. Don't waste time on research laser-based personal weapons. Research plasma for use and sell.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 11:45:01 am »
It also sounds to me like you're not expanding fast enough. You only see (some) UFOs that are within your radar coverage. You need to get bases up as quick as possible to extend radar coverage around the world. You are probably losing nation happiness because of UFOs that land out of range of your radar coverage.

Offline Timo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 12:12:50 pm »
It also sounds to me like you're not expanding fast enough. You only see (some) UFOs that are within your radar coverage. You need to get bases up as quick as possible to extend radar coverage around the world. You are probably losing nation happiness because of UFOs that land out of range of your radar coverage.

That's the reason I suggested using radar towers. Those are a lot cheaper than building bases and they finish faster.

Offline homunculus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 04:38:45 pm »
me thinks that in order to end this confusion, nations might report ufo landings after the ufo has taken off (and casualties) that player did not see and respond to.

maybe with some delay, maybe even depending on population density in that area and number of casualties (the more the sooner).
or maybe when the ufo has left the earth atmosphere, but that would be the worst band-aid imho.

there could be a report like this: european union discovered an ufo landing site, with 5 stiffs and 3 missing persons.

the missions that appear out of radar range are already being discovered by nations before the ufo takes off.
do they appear with a delay or do they appear at the same moment the ufo lands?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 04:46:28 pm by homunculus »