project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Air combat alternative  (Read 2569 times)

Offline Timo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Air combat alternative
« on: July 31, 2012, 01:25:06 pm »
Feature I miss in ufo-ai from some other ufo game is capability to track alien craft with a fighter without engaging in battle. Send a solo fighter to track big-ass ufo you can't shoot down, and if that ufo lands, then send a dropship. If the ufo decides to engage you, s*it happens, but it could be risk worth taking.

Nokim

Re: Air combat alternative
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 07:56:43 pm »
That's possible to do manually. I mean select your aircraft, point where to fly, repeat if needed.

Offline Timo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 09:55:20 am »
That's possible to do manually. I mean select your aircraft, point where to fly, repeat if needed.

Tried that. It turned out to be stupid idea (tracking large ufo), apparently ufo has quite a bit longer detection radius than my already damaged stiletto, so it just killed it. Probably not worth implementing just because that is not smart tactic anyway unless your fighter is faster than ufo in question

Nokim

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 11:46:15 am »
It's nice idea. But game needs more different items for aircraft to make use of it. Something like:
  • advanced long-range radar to use aircraft like some mobile radar tower
  • stealth system (maybe some armor type?) - useful to hide dropship or sudden strike
  • additional trusters for combat - more chances to survive for interceptors
  • anti-missile defense systems (like nowadays lasers based on solid state semiconductors developed for US Navy, less powerful then chemical but very cheap shots and good firerate)
  • Magnetic field generator on superconductors - it can divert particle beam but can't protect against lasers, missiles and so on.
  • holographic projector to fool enemy's targeting systems (well, actually this is something more complicated then just hologram)
  • Unit for psionic warfare/alien detection (with additional pilot/operator onboard?)
Now we have only targeting computer and ECM unit. No any advanced models based on alien technology, no anything else. I would like more possibilities to customize aircraft.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 12:26:48 pm by Nokim »

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 04:00:03 am »
I agree, we certainly could use more aircraft items.  The aircraft as well as the air combat system is underdeveloped in this game, it has been that way for a long time.

I'm one of several individuals with this project who is already working on a new, revamped air combat system - I'll keep some of these ideas in mind.  Hopefully when a new air combat system is in place, other related parts of the game - such as using a stealth aircraft to follow and study a UFO on the geoscape - will soon follow.