project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Scriptable map sequences...  (Read 1992 times)

Offline Quidgiboo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Scriptable map sequences...
« on: July 28, 2012, 05:33:26 pm »
Hi guys,

I just wanted to know if it was possible to have the campaign mode initiate a series of maps / messages in a defined order, as a way to make a mini-mission arc. So for example...

1) At some point of alien interest you get a message saying that increased alien activity has been spotted in some area (say the alps), and that this is near some important national military installation
2) Sometime later, there's a notification that aliens are attacking the installation itself, and you have to go do a terror mission in the Bunker map. Succeed, message says that you've made them happy, and now the security has been increased to prevent a recurrence. Fail, everyone gets wiped out, nation happiness drops significantly.
3) Then, a few weeks later, you get an urgent message / terror mission: aliens are attempting to avoid the new defenses by attacking the dam upstream, hoping that the subsequent flood will allow them to wipe everyone out. Cue the Dam map (perhaps with a reach-the-bomb victory condition) and the same effect on nation happiness.

I've no idea how much of this is scriptable, or how much is hard-coded into the program (the wiki only talks about entirely new campaigns?).  But if it's possible, it would be a great way to give the aliens short term goals as well as the usual terror/scouting/XVI missions.

Cheers!

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Scriptable map sequences...
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 05:43:14 pm »
Static ("Simple") campaign is something like this, see staticcampaign.ufo

-geever

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 07:27:29 pm »
Also check out the /base/events.ufo file, which will show you how you can create the messages.

Offline Quidgiboo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 12:53:12 am »
Oookay, so it looks like the Static Campaign is the kind of thing I'm thinking of, and after a bit of a struggle I've figured out how the syntax for specifying missions and calling up custom emails works. But I'm guessing anything I stick together will only work in the static campaign, right? Also, is there a list of the various "command" calls (other than addeventmail) that you can use in the script files somewhere? Sorry to ask such stupid questions!