project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Soldier craft position re-ordering  (Read 3154 times)

Offline lungic

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Soldier craft position re-ordering
« on: July 14, 2012, 09:46:05 pm »
Hi, simple feature request.

What:
Ability to move soldier craft position up and down.

How:
Perhaps an "up arrow and a down arrow" (like the buy/sell/transfer button).

Where:
In the craft/personell view. (Where the equip soldiers button is)

Why:
Since the in-craft-position determines where the soldier starts on certain missions, I'd like to have my wounded soldiers to be the ones that remains inside the craft, and my healthy ones being the ones that storms out of the craft. (Also it would make it easier to deploy soldiers in the field).

Yes, one can remove all the soldiers from the craft, and add them in the right order, but if you have more than say eight soldiers in the base, you need to remember who was positioned where, and it gets tedious. Move up and down would make it very much more feasible.

If this is already in 2.5 I haven't checked, then apologies.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Soldier craft position re-ordering
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 09:51:43 pm »
Hi lubgic.

You should file Feature Requests on the Feature Request Tracker. We are busy men with short mind... ;)

Thanks.
-geever

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 10:08:09 am »
Why:
Since the in-craft-position determines where the soldier starts on certain missions, I'd like to have my wounded soldiers to be the ones that remains inside the craft, and my healthy ones being the ones that storms out of the craft. (Also it would make it easier to deploy soldiers in the field).

Soldiers starting positions on the battlescape are distributed at random. If not, it depends on the order the spawnpoints were originally set on the map. Afaik it does not take the in-craft-position into account.

Offline lungic

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 11:03:24 am »
Soldiers starting positions on the battlescape are distributed at random. If not, it depends on the order the spawnpoints were originally set on the map. Afaik it does not take the in-craft-position into account.

Perhaps there are only four spawn points on certain maps, and it only applies to the first four soldiers? Because I remember that time and again the same four remained inside the craft. I.e. my wounded ones sans Power Armor stormed the field, and the rest stayed behind. Perhaps I played the same maps too many times. (Ufo:s got shot down by SAM-sites at certain locations several times).

I like the idea of random placements on some (most) maps, though it would be nice to have control over the soldier deploy pattern on the assault missions where the humans are in control (unless ambushed).

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 05:48:11 pm »
Of course it depends on which version you are playing. My statement was about the 2.5-dev. In 2.4 some maps have randomspawn, some donĀ“t.

Offline lungic

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 09:35:13 pm »
Ah, ok. Seem's like you've taken a strategic decision then, which is cool as well.

Offline Duque Atreides

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 02:55:22 am »
I think that in firebird landing, the soldiers must be on the aircraft at the begining. Is more difficult, but, it gives more chance to survive an ambush, because the most of the soldiers are covered by the aircraft.

Offline homunculus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 09:30:28 am »
after the initial "what game are you talking about?" experience, there is indeed one thing that is affected by craft soldier ordering, and that is soldier numbers.
i remember getting used to my best sniper being at button number "1", but when he got wounded and removed from the team for a while, the ordering got messed up, even when he was back in the team.
i even considered reordering the soldiers by assigning all of them to the aircraft again, but that would have meant equipping them again.

xcom3 (xcom:apoc) had a squad system for this kind of thing, and that enabled reordering and grouping even during battle.
i don't remember if the soldiers remembered their squads for the next battle, though (i don't think they did, i remember there was some repetitive tedium with that).