project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: +africa RMA  (Read 3683 times)

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
+africa RMA
« on: July 28, 2012, 10:44:56 am »
On the way on our quest to improve and expand the existing RMAs I recently did some work on the +africa theme. This is not completely done yet, but I wouldn´t mind to hear some opinions, especially about the map size. Of course comments about all the other stuff are also welcome.

Some pics regarding the "Who´s greenest" contest.

Not very spectacular. Harvester UFO vs. Firebird dropship.

Crashed Fighter UFO vs. Herakles.

And finally Gunboat vs. Raptor.

During the contest this guy tried to fool his teammates with the good ol´ "Hellboy" joke. Unortunately they did not recognise it was him. Doctors still not sure if he will ever be back on duty.

And on the end some thought that comes to my mind quite often when working on stuff like this.

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • UFO:AI Lead Sound Artist
    • View Profile
    • http://crysea.cr.funpic.de/
Re: +africa RMA
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 01:31:02 pm »
One guy on indiedb said that putting rocks around a fire in the desert makes no sense - dont know if thats true. Btw that screenshot with the gunboat @ night looks awesome! That thing is fucking threatening with all the green glow!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 01:35:59 pm by Crystan »

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 01:54:16 pm »
... putting rocks around a fire in the desert makes no sense ...

My guess is the stones are used to keep the burning wood together, but I never saw an african desert irl, so I cannot really answer that ( to be honest, without the stones it looks, well ..., just not good ).

Btw that screenshot with the gunboat @ night looks awesome! That thing is fucking threatening with all the green glow!

Yeah, Kildor did a great job there.

Offline Sandro

• Squad Leader
  • Maintenance guy for UFO:AI 3D engine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 06:37:54 pm »
One guy on indiedb said that putting rocks around a fire in the desert makes no sense - dont know if thats true.

Definitely not true. Rocks are not only for keeping the fire inside the fireplace (and you want it even in the desert, embers rolling to random places are not fun), but also to protect fire from wind. Which is especially important in desert, considering the type of available fuel ...

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 10:48:51 am »
About your wtf.
It looks like some brushes has uncorrect levelflags. Also, there is something very, very wrong with shadows. And have you remove semitransparent silhouette of wings and hull of Gunboat on first level?

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 05:24:43 pm »
It looks like some brushes has uncorrect levelflags.

Not sure which one you are thinking of.

Also, there is something very, very wrong with shadows.

Thats was caused by the model of the PB-cannon.

And have you remove semitransparent silhouette of wings and hull of Gunboat on first level?

Iirc the prefab of the crashed version does not have the silhoutte. But I will check back to make sure I did not lose it somehow, by accident.

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 07:43:51 am »
And have you remove semitransparent silhouette of wings and hull of Gunboat on first level?

I checked it and the prefab of the crashed Gunboat UFO never had this.