project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: news: immortal ghost alien goes off the grid and becomes invisible!  (Read 8018 times)

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
Re: news: immortal ghost alien goes off the grid and becomes invisible!
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2012, 08:41:34 pm »
... a mis-placed start position.

Not on this map for sure.

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2012, 07:50:04 pm »
Has someone seen this after the latest fixes? Hopefully this bug died with the latest threading and dbuffer fixes.
Forget I asked, I just found it again.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 10:49:12 pm by DarkRain »

Offline Telok

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2012, 03:02:37 pm »
If you use the RF test map that H-Hour worked up for me in the RF thread you can force this behaviour really easily. Just stick a few soldiers down on your end and in five to ten rounds the hovernets will off-grid while shooting at you.

It's a good map for testing because it loads and runs really really fast.

Offline dragonlordkfb

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2013, 10:15:15 pm »
thanks for the report - but without a steps-to-reproduce we can't really fix the bug.

is this always happening to you on this map? does it always happen under some special circumstances?

The invisible aliens actors are happening because game is out of sync. Any action with camera movement lags, typically on aliens shooting on long distance. As result i see message about wounded soldier long before alien which wounded him even have started to move and movement of previous alien is shown (bullet in flight).
I think that bugs with dead aliens left standing or invisible aliens is related because it's often happens on maps with wide space like dam or farm.

To reproduce, simply open GAS STATION maps or DAM, have one of your agents spot an alien at least a few screens away, and let them shoot at you for a few turns.
 You can force the issue on DAM by staying around the landing pad and playing sniper. As you move your soldiers around the aliens will move around on their side. Eventually you can get one that will seem to be "stuck" partially between two tiles, really he's invisible and moving and shooting.

Force the issue by staying on your side of the Dam map and playing at sniping. You will have an invisible actor in no time.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 10:19:32 pm by dragonlordkfb »

Nokim

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2013, 09:08:34 pm »
The invisible aliens actors are happening because game is out of sync. Any action with camera movement lags, typically on aliens shooting on long distance. As result i see message about wounded soldier long before alien which wounded him even have started to move and movement of previous alien is shown (bullet in flight).
I think that bugs with dead aliens left standing or invisible aliens is related because it's often happens on maps with wide space like dam or farm.
Almost my words ;) But i have impression that this bug is already fixed, however camera movement and bullet flight is out of sync on dam map at least. How "fresh" is your version?