project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Things that I miss most from the old X-Com games  (Read 6655 times)

sirg

Things that I miss most from the old X-Com games
« on: October 16, 2006, 07:22:11 pm »
Here is a quick list of the things I miss most in this game. I think most of them are a must, and no matter what the effort should be implemented. Please add your comments or features that you miss.

1) Saving in missions - it's obvious - and for those "unique" moments when you did a perfect mission until turn #30+, and the last alien killed your best soldier in the squad with a knife...

2) Destructable terrain: walls, floors, cars, shelves, furniture, everything that isn't made of stone or xenotronium (whatever). In X-Com one could blast a hole in a wall with a rocket launcher and get in (I used this tactic with alien ships... I know, the guys from Area 51 cursed me all the time - oh Commander, can't you retrieve an UFO in one piece?)  :lol:

2.1) Shoot through walls. In X-Com one could fire a weapon through some walls - in barns, houses, even in some alien facilities. It's natural to want your assault rifle burst to pass through a country wooden fence or through the walls of a Japonese hut!

3) Doors - you never knew what lied behind a closed door - was it an alien a turn ago, or a dumb civilian?
I would also like the posibility to lock/jam a door, and of course, blowing it up.

4) The screams - this should be 2nd or 1st on my list. The old sounds were poor, but very effective and set the mood towards scary. That's why were so great after all! I also loved the sound of footsteps and opening/closing doors.

5) The "shoot behind the corner" (guided) rocket launcher  :)  - yeah... you could shoot with that rocket launcher through a maze if you wanted, and it was cool. Maybe it won't be considered, because doesn't fit the setting or it's unrealistic, but it was cool, and had to be remembered.

6) The cargo ship map - it had countless rooms, and a huge hold - it was impressive.

7) Panicated aliens, droping their weapon and running away  :P  Aliens going bezerk...

X) The Lobsterman  :D ... yea` it was the coolest alien... I had to mention it, even though it won't be in the game

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 06:30:05 pm »
Destructable terrain is currently not supported by the engine (other than small things like windows and barrels). There are ideas to change this, but nobody seems to have the ability, the time or the will to implement it.

Shooting through walls is much more likely to make an appearance, though - after a fashion.

sirg

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 07:38:38 pm »
I tried to shoot through a glass window, but it was laserproof ;)
It would be great if at least the haystacks from that rural map could be set on fire or destroyed by explosions. How about the furniture pieces - shelves, tables, etc... ?

Elbenfreund

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 02:12:28 pm »
I think this is of cause a very much wanted but not in sight feature.
If it can be done with the engine it defenitly takes quite some effort and there are other issues to be done before opening a major new one.

regards, eric.

ubequitz

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 07:40:41 pm »
There are plans on making a whole heap of ingame objects (tables, chairs, windows etc) destructible. Being able to destroy generic terrain would be great, I have some ideas on how this might be done but realistically I probably lack the skill and time at the moment to do this (I suspect it will require a concerted/united effort on the part of the devs).

sirg

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 10:44:18 pm »
That's great news.. but hold on, there is no need (yet) for destructing generic terrain, but most objects would be great to be destroyable.

I think being able to alter the generic terrain will cause a heap of other issues and bugs, so it's best to start with what's easier to do... We`re all waiting to blow stuff up!  :lol: