project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: [ABANDONED] NeoTweaks  (Read 19270 times)

Offline Neonin

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: NeoTweaks [V2.0 Current]
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2012, 08:18:57 pm »
May I suggest sharing MD5 "checksum" of the package, so players can check if their download is corrupted?

-geever

My apologies, I worded that poorly. What I meant was that in the original upload there was a coding error in one of the script files, not an actual problem with the uploaded zip file.

I forgot to put "rs_" before one of the pre-requisites I added late last night in research.ufo, which caused it to fall over when it tried to start a new game :P

Offline Sandro

• Squad Leader
  • Maintenance guy for UFO:AI 3D engine
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2012, 08:35:44 pm »
Xaser Weapons
A marked improvement on laser weapons, xasers use a higher frequency beam that pushes into the ultraviolet range for more damage, greater accuracy, and increased range. The power requirements of these weapons means their ammo capacity is lower than that of laser weapons, and their somewhat delicate construction means they can't be used to bash enemies.

If you want to be physically correct, you should not say that UV radiation allows for increased range, it's actually the reverse. Atmosphere of Earth is not universally transparent, for wavelengths shorter than about 5cm, it becomes rather opaque, and transparent only in a few windows of transparency.
Visible spectrum is located on the top of such window, and in the UV range trasparency rapidly decreases. For the Xrays and gamma radiation atmosphere is very opaque: at the sea level, 1km thick atmosphere layer provides shielding equal to 20cm thick steel plate. That's why nuclear explosions cause giant fireballs and powerful shockwaves instead of short and invisible gamma ray flashes: atmospheric absorption of gamma rays, which causes them to heat the air right into the plasma state.

PS: Of course, UV will be more effective than optical radiation when delivering the actual damage, since more energy will directly go into breaking molecular bonds, and less into simple heating.

Offline Neonin

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2012, 08:48:14 pm »
Interesting to know Sandro, thank you. Science was never a strong point of mine hehe. I've updated the post to change the explanation slightly and if/when it becomes possible to edit the text in the game via a mod I'll be sure to bear it in mind :)

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2012, 08:16:32 am »
Don`t worry, the Science is not strong point for almost all peoples, that`s why there are so many fantasy games and books, like new XCom from firaxis.

Offline Neonin

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2012, 10:22:36 am »
Haha yeah... I always liked the approach of Master of Orion 1 & 2, have a whole bunch of cool-sounding technology names but don't even try to explain how they work! :P

Offline Neonin

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2012, 03:43:54 pm »
Hmm, it appears that adding in aircraft, even if you just reskin them, is not possible with the current mod system after all. Everything works fine except for the game crashes whenever you try to go to the Aircraft tab on the Market (at least that's the first error I've found) due to the fact that the aircraft types are hard-coded (specifically in src/common/scripts.cpp).

This means I will have to remove the Firebird and Saracen Mk II variants, which will be done in an update to 2.1 shortly. However, in mitigation of the loss of those aircraft, 2.1 will feature some new tweaks to change the aircraft stats and how/when they are available, along with what size hangar they need...

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2012, 04:49:29 pm »
Hmm, it appears that adding in aircraft, even if you just reskin them, is not possible with the current mod system after all. Everything works fine except for the game crashes whenever you try to go to the Aircraft tab on the Market (at least that's the first error I've found) due to the fact that the aircraft types are hard-coded (specifically in src/common/scripts.cpp).

Unfortunately parts of it are hardcoded for the maps' dropship support...

-geever

Offline Neonin

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: NeoTweaks [V2.1 Current]
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2012, 05:29:31 pm »
Never mind, I fixed it in V2.1 which is now up for download. If you're using the V2.0 version please upgrade so you don't end up with a game that crashes! Just unzip as before and replace any files it asks you to. Patch notes were also updated.

V2.1 Notes
- Modified aircraft values.
- Saracen Interceptor now researched after Advanced Terran Materials, now only requires a small hangar.
- Herakles Dropship now researched after Alien Propulsion and does not require Alien Base.
- Tweaked Electromagnetic Rifle to make it more useful compared to Sniper and Assault Rifles.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 05:35:01 pm by Neonin »

Offline Neonin

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2012, 02:00:34 pm »
Coming up for V2.5 some time in the future (having too much fun playing again):
  • More tweaks to weapons to try and make every one useful in some way.
  • Modified campaign starting conditions.
  • Starting base facilities and layout dependant on difficulty level.
  • Adjustment of item availability on market to encourage early production.
  • Possible move of some starting weapons to Tier 1 with enhanced capabilities.
Some of the plans for V3.0, which will be worked on if/when Mattn kindly has a look at a bit of code to allow more objects to be added to the game:
  • Aircraft armour variants that modify stats in different ways.
  • New base defences.
  • Stungas grenades for Grenade Launcher.
  • Improved SAM Base missile types.
  • Personnel armour variants.
  • Another look at reworking the tech tree.
If you're a modeller and think you could help... stop looking at this topic and talk to the Devs! They need you! :P

Offline MtTriglav

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2012, 01:13:10 am »
Don't know if the mod works with latest game updates, but I updated the game today and DL'd UFOneo to try it out, but if I launch with own bat or with selecting mod in vanilla game, whenever trying to start a new campaign I get a CTD.

Offline Jahsus

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2012, 12:56:34 pm »
I put this folder in my UFO 2.5 dev directory and run the .bat but it dosent seem to load. Any thoughts?

Offline Noordung

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2013, 10:20:52 pm »
So I like the idea how you adapt alien technology to be used without alien materials. If there would only be a way to get more antimatar, or at least werehouse for it be bigger. Those ačien fighters use antimater for fuel right? And maybe change this game so new aircrafts could be added.

Unfortunatley i couldnt use mode. Game says "window mods not found".