project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Phalanx Logo  (Read 10111 times)

Offline Neonin

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Phalanx Logo
« on: June 21, 2012, 11:10:33 pm »
Just a little something I was fiddling around with in my spare time cause I like messing with things like this. If this isn't the right section for fan art please feel free to move it to a more appropriate section!

Also fiddled around with rank images based on the logo. I'm aware that there are new images used in 2.5, but this is based on the rank progression in 2.4:

I forgot about these ones:

« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 02:44:37 pm by Neonin »

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Phalanx Logo
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 11:42:42 am »
I like these a lot.

Offline Neonin

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 02:45:09 pm »
Thank you :) I added in the Worker and Scientist ranks to the original post next to the Pilot one just to complete the set hehe.

Offline Nutter

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 02:53:49 pm »
I like the overall appearance and am as such, reduced to nitpicking.
I wonder if you could replace the heads on the arrows with something more spearlike.
After all, the organisation is called "Phalanx."

Offline Neonin

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 02:59:40 pm »
Could you perhaps link some examples? It's the first time I've tried to "draw" a spear since I wanted to use personally-created items as much as possible (I can't draw spanners and such but spear shapes are quite simple) so some idea of what you think would be more appropriate would help and give me something to work with.

Nitpicking or not, constructive criticism is always welcome and thanks for the comment!

Offline Nutter

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 04:44:12 pm »
Well, if I had the slightest capacity for doing this, I'd try to make the head smaller relative to the shaft and I'd ditch the parts that are pointing backwards. It's nice when an arrow sticks inside and can't be pulled out but when you do that with a spear, it's a bit of a hassle.

But since I don't, I think I'll just lob these few pics of what I'd be going for and hope you can make use of them.
There's also a few more from where I got the first one, if you feel like it.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 04:46:43 pm by Nutter »

Nokim

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 05:23:00 pm »
Can rank images for officers be brighter in some way? I know it's supposed to be silver, but first row of images is more eye-catchable, colorful when they are supposed to be minor, bronze.

Offline Neonin

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 06:08:41 pm »
More like this Nokim?

And thanks for the spear examples, I shall work on it later after dinner. This is why I love contributions from other people interested in the same thing :)

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 06:28:16 pm »
I like logo except spearhead and spears in general. They don`t fit style of other parts of logo.

Also, I don`t like idea to unity logo and insignias to one symbol. It looks good as Division and department label (Research division, functional department), but not as chevron. May be we should split it into two different images? It will be easy to tune UI.

Nokim

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 07:01:46 pm »

Offline Neonin

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 11:51:04 am »
Ok, fiddled around with the main logo a little based on feedback. First we have the "better spearheads" asked for:

Then we have a "modernist" take on the spears with stylized slashes in the place of actual spears, which I like very much but only works on a dark background with those particular colours:

I've had one or two ideas for rank images that aren't based on the logo, so once I've had a go I'll post some images.

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • UFO:AI Lead Sound Artist
    • View Profile
    • http://crysea.cr.funpic.de/
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2012, 01:17:34 pm »
I really like the modern version. But if we going to replace the logo, we need a seperate texture of the slashes/spears for the intro sequence.

Offline Neonin

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 04:18:25 pm »
I wasn't trying to step on anyone's toes and suggest replacing the current logo, this was just meant as fan art... though I am flattered at the suggestion. The logo image file I work from consists of the following layers, from top to bottom:

1 - PHALANX name.
2 - Shield ring/circle.
3 - Shield drop shadow.
4 - Continents.
5 - Sea.
6 - Shield background.
7 - Green spear.
8 - Blue spear.

This means providing any individual element for people to play with is no problem at all :) While I work in GIMP, it can save as PSD so compatibility shouldn't be an issue.

Funnily enough, looking at that made me wonder what would happen if you eliminated the shield background so the continents and sea become semi-transparent, and I ended up with this which I quite like too:

Offline Neonin

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2012, 05:56:51 pm »
And in a flurry of creativity today, based on the previous one with semi-transparent background, I've added rivets to the outer ring to try and make it more shield-like:

EDIT: Realised I unintentionally made the outer ring brighter with the addition of the rivets, so edited in a new version with the ring roughly the same brightness as before.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 06:53:52 pm by Neonin »

Offline Neonin

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 09:31:15 pm »
Taking on Kildor's comment about not having the rank images based on the logo design, I've been working with various ideas and played around with this for the six noncom ranks:

The slashes use a similar colour and style as the spears in the logo to keep a little continuity in design, and the bars are reminiscent of current military ranks from various countries.

The officer ranks are a bit more elaborate but this time use a duplicate of the shield ring to keep the continuity instead:

« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 10:24:18 pm by Neonin »